New member first Suzuki

It's my first Suzuki  its 1982 Suzuki gs650gl bought at a good price got it running had alot of issues carbs fuel tanks but had always been some what reliable about a week ago had a short at the fuse box and I haven't seen a lick of spark since I like to think I a pretty far mechanic on any gas engine but know when to find people with knowledge about this machine was running great really the best it had ran with no issues fuse box shorted to ground my fault I replaced coils one the old coils was cracked was hoping that's was it I did pickup a used signal generator because I couldn't find a igniter been doing research  everything says dynatek but I don't believe the make anything for this model any help would be appreciated sorry I dropped in with my problems  

11 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

thats one long fucking sentence !!!!!!

Jack Kerouac's cousin maybe ?

Big blown fuse suggests something gone phut . These are early CDI systems on GS650's I'm guessing .  Can see then 2nd hand on Alibabababay for £90 

Can't state fur sure but would guess similar vintage GS850 unit or even 1000 would be too far off, it's only a switch when all's said and done . 

Edited by PanzerWomble
14 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Jack Kerouac's cousin maybe ?

Big blown fuse suggests something gone phut . These are early CDI systems on GS650's I'm guessing .  Can see then 2nd hand on Alibabababay for £90 

Can't state fur sure but would guess similar vintage GS850 unit or even 1000 would be too far off, it's only a switch when all's said and done . 

From what research I have done. The gs650gl 81 thru 83 is different and nobody makes a kit for it . That I can find .I did look in to used igniter only 2 that I can find on the internet .They wanted $100/$125 with a no return policy on electric parts. I went as far as emailing dynatek for help. There reply they don't offer one for that model  at this time

12 hours ago, TonyGee said:

check if you have 12v at one of the coil wires with the ignition on, if you don't then its a power suply problem. if you do then its an ignition problem. ( pulse coil/CDI ) 

Yes have 12v at coils witch where replaced 2/3 coil had crack down the side. Picked up another pulse coil even after mine passed omh test. I would buy a new ignition system if I can find one that will work on it.

6 hours ago, Johnfirstgs650gl said:

From what research I have done. The gs650gl 81 thru 83 is different and nobody makes a kit for it . That I can find .I did look in to used igniter only 2 that I can find on the internet .They wanted $100/$125 with a no return policy on electric parts. I went as far as emailing dynatek for help. There reply they don't offer one for that model  at this time

If i search for 32900-34210 this comes up.

Upgraded CDI

It states it fits these models:

Suzuki GS650GL
Suzuki GS650G
Suzuki GS650GL
Suzuki GS650M
1981 1982 1983

OEM Nummer:
32900-34210 ( 131100-2630 )

Repair site

HTH

4 minutes ago, wraith said:

Will a gs550 one work?

Just thinking, as you can put the top end off the 650 onto a 550 bottom end and still use all the 550 electronic bits, the 550 CDI should do the same job as the 650?

i was thinking the same thing ?  his looks like the one on my 1100 though that doesn't mean it'll work. but i wonder how different they all are ? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

i was thinking the same thing ?  his looks like the one on my 1100 though that doesn't mean it'll work. but i wonder how different they all are ? 

Yes and it also looks the same as on the kat 750 (important one that looks like the 1100 lol )

Bit different but I'm running a gsx750f CDI on my b12 powered ET and it work just fine.

They all do the same basic job by turning the pulse from the atu to a signal to a coil to spark.

Edited by wraith
Add a bit
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, wraith said:

Yes and it also looks the same as on the kat 750 (important one that looks like the 1100 lol )

Bit different but I'm running a gsx750f CDI on my b12 powered ET and it work just fine.

theirs a good chance that a CDI of another model will work as suzuki are well known for sharing parts, but its a case of finding the right one !!!!!  

• Like 1

CDI box at heart ?  .....it's only a switch , pulse signal in , capacitor discharge out ? and I doubt in the early 80's 60hp ish engine , it's going to be very sophisticated . No 3D mapping . Plus can you "slot " the pick ups to adjust the timing or it is all pegged ? 

Electrex , feck me that's a blast from the past and gobsmacked they are still going , I bought one of their reggy-rectumficators for my GS1000S back in 92(?) before I taught myself how to wire in Wetdream units and saved a bundle . 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

CDI box at heart ?  .....it's only a switch , pulse signal in , capacitor discharge out ? and I doubt in the early 80's 60hp ish engine , it's going to be very sophisticated . No 3D mapping . Plus can you "slot " the pick ups to adjust the timing or it is all pegged ? 

Electrex , feck me that's a blast from the past and gobsmacked they are still going , I bought one of their reggy-rectumficators for my GS1000S back in 92(?) before I taught myself how to wire in Wetdream units and saved a bundle . 

ah the wetdream mod, qiute popular back then :tu

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Blubber said:

If i search for 32900-34210 this comes up.

Upgraded CDI

It states it fits these models:

Suzuki GS650GL
Suzuki GS650G
Suzuki GS650GL
Suzuki GS650M
1981 1982 1983

OEM Nummer:
32900-34210 ( 131100-2630 )

Repair site

HTH

I checked out the site that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks man I looked for a week all over the net. I had emails with some guy at dynatek with no luck.i was hoping some fellow riders lend a help hand. Can't wait to order. Thanks again for the info  . Will keep posting with up dates

• Like 2

From what I have been learning they bolt different to the block and the timing advance works different. I know my gl has a oul sending unit in that area. Making the back plate require a cut out.

16 hours ago, wraith said:

Will a gs550 one work?

Just thinking, as you can put the top end off the 650 onto a 550 bottom end and still use all the 550 electronic bits, the 550 CDI should do the same job as the 650?