K7-K8 rear rim on slabside ?

Joseph

Hi

As described in the title, i seem to think i have seen it done before but can't find any photo evidence due to the blandness of the key words.

The K rim has a largely offset hub towards the chain side, hence me wondering if it can be done ?

If anyone has photos of that set up or knows the tricks to make it work that would be great

Thanks

Thanks

I think i found the build topic about the bike. Unfortunately it looks like it had K4 600 rims which i am not familiar with regarding hub offset.

I do however realise that if this is to be done it needs to be with a 600 rim only since they are 5.5 wide

Edited by Joseph

But of course it was your bike i seemed to remember having seen the set up on.

Trawling through the net i found that the swingarm widths are the same pretty much between slabside and slingshot, but its good to see how you've done it.

On my 5.5 inch conversions i took out the studs and bolts and used hex screws, that gave clearance because the studs didn't clear the swingarm with the wheel centered, but i didn't sink the sprocket carrier inside. I did have it shaved down the to outside edge of bearing face (gained 7mm) and used a sealed bearing since the o ring seal recess had been shaved off the carrier in those 7 mm

I think i also used a spacer on the front sprocket. Don't know if the slab frame allows that ?

Edited by Joseph
44 minutes ago, Joseph said:

But of course it was your bike i seemed to remember having seen the set up on.

Trawling through the net i found that the swingarm widths are the same pretty much between slabside and slingshot, but its good to see how you've done it.

On my 5.5 inch conversions i took out the studs and bolts and used hex screws, that gave clearance because the studs didn't clear the swingarm with the wheel centered, but i didn't sink the sprocket carrier inside. I did have it shaved down the to outside edge of bearing face (gained 7mm) and used a sealed bearing since the o ring seal recess had been shaved off the carrier in those 7 mm

I think i also used a spacer on the front sprocket. Don't know if the slab frame allows that ?

Worth measuring your standard sprocket offset from wheel centre, getting K-series wheels to fit slingshots involves a lot of work as there is 10mm difference. IIRC slabbies sprocket offset is less than slingy. Its a lot of offset to make up.

Frankly you've got me confused.

On my 93 which is essentially the same as a slingshot, i centered the rim, which has to be the only starting point to take off from. I had the sprocket carrier shaved all the way down to the bearing edge (7mm) to ensure that the rim could be centered. I put a 5mm spacer behind the front sprocket and flipped the rear sprocket round because the one i bought was stepped so putting it the other way round got it closer to the tyre.

Custom made spacers to fill in the gaps and that did the job. 

Well, i think ? I mean the wheel is centered, the chain is straight ? 

I think... O.oxD

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Joseph said:

Frankly you've got me confused.

On my 93 which is essentially the same as a slingshot, i centered the rim, which has to be the only starting point to take off from. I had the sprocket carrier shaved all the way down to the bearing edge (7mm) to ensure that the rim could be centered. I put a 5mm spacer behind the front sprocket and flipped the rear sprocket round because the one i bought was stepped so putting it the other way round got it closer to the tyre.

Custom made spacers to fill in the gaps and that did the job. 

Well, i think ? I mean the wheel is centered, the chain is straight ? 

I think... O.oxD

A 93 isnt a slabside

No, but it's the same as a slingshot, and the axle space between the swingarm legs of a slabside and a slingshot is the same (slingshot rims are plug and play i believe on a slabside ? )

Of course if the engine sprocket positions differ, or if the frame is narrower, i agree that that can affect this kind of project as far as chain run goes.

But theoretically centering the rim should be pretty much the same kind of job ?

2 hours ago, Joseph said:

No, but it's the same as a slingshot, and the axle space between the swingarm legs of a slabside and a slingshot is the same (slingshot rims are plug and play i believe on a slabside ? )

Of course if the engine sprocket positions differ, or if the frame is narrower, i agree that that can affect this kind of project as far as chain run goes.

But theoretically centering the rim should be pretty much the same kind of job ?

No they arent. Slabbies (or some slabbie models) are narrower than Slingys afaik as per my first post. Think its somthing like 90mm slabbie, 100mm slingy and water boilers, 110mm for k series.

Centreing the rim is the easy part, trying to get the chain alignment right is the hard part.

Not sure if you can just change the spacer behind the front sprocket to conver slabbie motor to slingy dimensions, got a funny feeling theres not enough thread to do it

Edited by MeanBean49
  • 2 months later...

I have an K5678 rear wheel in my 7/11 slabby. Took some time to make everything fit but it was worth it.

It took my father some hours behind the lathe but the K7 wheel finally sits in the middle of the swingarm...

I had one K9 wheel in my 1100EF with slingshot swingarm and expected that wheel to be in the middle since it was in the middle in the 1100. It wasn't the case... 

On the inside of the carrier it's a bit shorter now and on the outside all the material around the seal was milled away. The whole wheel had to move 12mm further to the left but now it finally sits right in the middle.

Rear sprocket carrier moved also a few mm to the left but fortunately the front sprocket is still on the splines. Have to move it 3/4mm to the left but there's just enough room on the splines for that. Since the chain moved more to the left there was plenty of room to fit a bigger tyre. I've fitted now an 180/60 instead of an 180/55 and it looks way better (fatter)

IMG_0925.thumb.jpg.0df82d03788347c9a2ce2d88264ffd2c.jpg

IMG_0929.thumb.jpg.52014f86c7c07920755ada83190fabbb.jpg

• Like 5