Not seen this before ?

dusty350

Hi all

In the process of cleaning up a Gsxr1100G I picked up recently. Took the tank off today to drain some stale fuel, and removed the K&N style filers from the carbs. Found some plastic gauze in each one ? Anyone seen this before ? Not keen on using these filters again, but they will go back on for the time being - just dont know whether to bin the gauze though ?

Dusty

20210925_164946.jpg

• Like 1

I think it's been stuffed in there after shipping. It must have been touching the slides in each carb as all 4 filters had the mesh protruding as per the filter on the left. I guess it's to restrict flow through the filter, but never having had these filters before I didn't know if it's a recognised mod ? It's a home made rear pipe so maybe the previous owner just couldn't get the fuelling right, and this was his attempt at a solution ?

Dusty:)

• Like 1

The bike runs but I dont think it has been used on the road since either some, or all of the mods have been done. There is no rear light, and no evidence of one ever being fitted, so it wouldn't have had an MOT. No evidence of road dirt or grime on the underside of the front mudguard either, and no wear from a rider on the petrol tank. The gauze wont be going back in. In fact, I dont like those K&N style filters, and may well change to larger foam pods. I bought this bike via a dealer at Kempton autojumble, so the history is very vague. Some mods have been done to a good standard, whilst others are very questionable !!

Dusty:)