Will the points ignition from a 8v fit a 16v with cdi?

gorbys

Can I swap the points ignition from my gs750 over to my gsx1100 motor as a temporary solution untill I can get a hold of either the stock ignitor or a dyna s or something?? 

I'm at the point now where the only thing keeping me from starting my gsx1100 swapped gs750 is the ignitor I never thought about until I couldn't get spark today 9_9 xD

IMG_20210908_205348999.jpg

• Like 1

I think it will work!

I fitted the Piranha optical set-up that was on my GS750 to my GSX1100 motor and it worked fine. (the Piranha uses the original back plate and the mechanical advance)

I now have a Dyna S ignition (which doesn't need the ignitor), still with the GS750 backplate.

Regards, 

Tony

3 hours ago, Poldark said:

Just remember to match the appropriate ignition coils to the breaker points; 4 or 5 ohms.  Electronic ignition systems are normally 2 or 3 ohm.  Running points with the lower resistance coils will work fine for a short while, then break down and leave you stranded; been there.

Good point. Didn't think of that. 

Lucky I'm still using the old coils then :$

6 hours ago, Poldark said:

Just remember to match the appropriate ignition coils to the breaker points; 4 or 5 ohms.  Electronic ignition systems are normally 2 or 3 ohm.  Running points with the lower resistance coils will work fine for a short while, then break down and leave you stranded; been there.

3 Ohm coils are fine to use with contact points.

The green 3 Ohm Dyna coils for instance have been in use for many years with points, replacing the higher resistance OEM coils.

Note : Dyna recommends a ballast resistor when using them with points and they do get warm.

But many people have used them without the resistor for many years (including me)

The 3 Ohm mini coils get real hot : those will fail especially when not cooled.

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 1

The Dyna coils are likely more heat resistant than the stock ones.  With old stock coils, best to use the correct resistance; no matter internal or external.  Dyna makes the black 5 ohm coils for use with points, why not just use them or an external resistor as recommended?  What's the advantage to running with over -heated coils?

20 hours ago, Poldark said:

The Dyna coils are likely more heat resistant than the stock ones.  With old stock coils, best to use the correct resistance; no matter internal or external.  Dyna makes the black 5 ohm coils for use with points, why not just use them or an external resistor as recommended?

No argument there buddy. Just offering experience.

20 hours ago, Poldark said:

What's the advantage to running with over -heated coils?

Um, you don't expect an answer to a retorical question i hope xD