84 GS1150 - Need a replacement rear shock or a rebuild to fix oil-leak?

Bongo_H

Hey Folks,

Can anyone offer advice on where I might source a bolt-on replacement rear (mono) shock for my 84 GS1150EF?

Or recommend somebody that can rebuild this OEM shock unit?

I've just finished a complete rebuild of my 1984 Suzuki GS1150, (1000+ hours work) only to discover the rear shock is leaking oil after the 2nd ride.

The bike was parked and untouched for 30 years in an open garage.

Suzuki OEM service manual says it is an unserviceable unit.

I have no idea if there is corrosion on the hidden part of the inner 'shaft', which would eat-up new seals.

And of-course no specs for the amount/grade of OIL to use if it was rebuilt.

I do know the "bottom-out 'bumper'" had completely disintegrated and fell-out in pieces when I was cleaning the shock unit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!

You folks were very helpful when I was looking for a replacement driveshaft for this bike.

Cheers

Appreciate the (direct experience) response.  Current problem is that I can't find a "confirmed" bolt-on for this quite-old bike.

I can live without the "Remote Controls" for pre-load and damping if I can't rebuild the OEM unit.

But the new, aftermarket replacement must be "bolt-on" with no mods required.

I *just* heard from a "Hagon" distributor here in Canada, who says they should be able to supply an aftermarket unit.  (45-60 days for delivery, though.)

Anyone here have 1sr-hand experience with bolting a Hagon aftermarket shock on a vintage bike like this?

The Hagon shocks are too pricey to be GUESSING if it will actually fit.

I had a hagon fitted to my old  GSX1100EF (GS1150 on your side of the Atlantic) providing you purchase one for that model it will be a direct fitment 

I would have thought, owing to that models popularity in the USA and Canada there would be aftermarket shock absorber manufacturers in that part of the world producing direct fitment alternatives.

Having said that my hagon shock did the trick for the reasonable price paid.

Thanks for confirming, eddiegsx  and Swiss Toni

These Suzuki models *were* somewhat popular here in North America, back in the day, but never sold HUGE numbers, to the best of my knowledge.

Good used parts are NOT easy to come-by, from Canada or the US.

And except for aging farts like me, we North Americans seem obsessed with the latest and greatest, rather than keeping older/vintage stuff running.  I'm not a traveler, but get the impression this is different in Europe and Australia. 

None of the NA-based companies I've contacted have been able to confirm they can provide a shock for this old bike model.  Or more likely were unwilling to commit the time to DIG and confirm fitment details.

Over here the OLD stuff running the roads is mostly Harley, Triumph, or even BSA.

I truly appreciate your help folks.

Unless something better pops up in the next few days, I'll most likely order a Hagon shock from the sole distributor here in Canada.

The lengthy delivery should actually be OK, arriving about the time our riding season is over.

It was a long haul for the 13 months of my restoration project, since august of 2020.  Just got the bike back together & running a few days ago and will ride it (somewhat cautiously) with the leaky shock until weather interferes or the new shock arrives.

I should probably post some pics of the resto one of these days.

Cosmetically, it turned-out quite well and the engine pulls like a locomotive!

I'd say the engine is stronger than when I bought the bike in 1986.  I'm quite happy with the results, after it was 'parked' for just over 30 years.

This darned-thing fought me every, single step of the way, with seized/broken bolts that had to be drilled and heli-colied, a stripped spark-plug hole, chewed-up splines on the driveshaft, horrible pitting on the valve seats causing compression of 80PSI and hard-to-find parts like a replacement "shoulder-bolt" connecting the rear torque link to the caliper. (just to mention a few)

Machinists/Shops here in Canada are NOT interested in "jobber" one-off jobs.  Not enough money in it I guess.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hey Gentlemen (eddiegsx  and Swiss Toni

Can you confirm the Hagon part# that was a 'direct-fitment' on your GS1150/GSX1100 bikes?

Was it:  M63087  ??

Not yet sure if I can still buy a NEW one of these, but the CDN distributor is checking for me.

Do you happen to know if these Hagon units are serviceable/rebuildable?

I'm also looking for a used Ohlins "SU 615" that apparently fits this bike.

They are no longer available NEW, but a local dealer suggested that if I can find a USED one, they are fully rebuildable, so that may be an option.

I reached-out to Hagon directly a few days ago and they JUST responded.  They are checking to see if they can still build one of these units for me, but THINK that it is possible. 

Fairly lengthy time-frame for delivery though: 30-60 days to build, then whatever time to ship to Canada from the UK.

The only listings for the "correct" unit on Eblag are from Italy, with similar lead times, higher pricing and very expensive shipping costs.

I'm hopeful Hagon direct will be able to provide what I need.  (The only NA-based Hagon distributor I could find, has not gotten back to me after 4-5 days)

YSS do a shock to fit, bolts straight in and seems well made. Sorry I don't have the code, I can find it on the work pc maybe but you should find it listed on their website or a bay of e search for GS1150/GSX1100EF. I seem to remember bolting a Hagon into my previous EF without any problems too.

Either will improve the handling over the 35-year old original bouncy spring, as would the 2x4 mentioned above :)

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the replacement rear mono-shock for my 1984 Suzuki GS1150EF:
(a lengthy post, but hopefully will be helpful to others)

I contacted Hagon directly, as suggested here
- The new shock arrived within 4 days of payment! (from UK to Canada)
- The new shock has been installed and seems to work well.
No more POGO-ING over large bumps, and no-more (scary) 'side-hopping' when I encounter bumps, while leaned-over on corners!
Compared to NEW sport bikes, this old (beastie) girl is still a bit of a HEAVY, wallowing-pig.
Not what you'd call nimble, even with the 16" OEM front wheel Suzuki installed in an attempt help with this aspect.  But better now with the new rear shock and completely rebuilt front-forks.
But not bad at all for the vintage of the bike. (1984)

New/Replacement Shock info for reference in case anyone needs it in future:
The correct HAGON shock for an 84-86 SuzukiGS1150 (GSX1100 in many countries) == M63087
The replacement shock has been installed and seems to work well.
Cost in September 2021 was: $475.0 CDN + $125.00 CDN for shipping + $65 CDN for import duties
The unit cost was quite reasonable, (IMO) for the quality of the unit.
The shipping cost was a little high, but well worth-it for the speed of build + delivery from the UK to Canada.

Pros:
- The folks at Hagon were fantastic.  Polite, helpful, and knowledgeable.  They took the time to help find/confirm the correct part for a fairly uncommon vintage motorcycle.  Unlike everyone else I contacted.
- The replacement shock was built & delivered from the UK to Canada within 4 business days from the date of payment!  Awesome!
- The shock was a direct 'bolt-on' fit for my 1984 Suzuki GS1150EF
- Hagon have greatly simplified the 'bearings' at the pivot-point/eyes on each end of the new mono-shock, eliminating the extra 4 rubber dust-seals and 4 retaining collars which were a PITA during installation of the OEM shock unit.
- The DESIGN of their 'eyes' for mounting is superior (IMO) to the OEM shock.
- Over-all quality of the shock design/materials/construction seems quite good from an engineering perspective, especially at this price-point.

Cons:
- Shipping and duties were semi-expensive, but quite reasonable for the speedy service provided.

- I am a *little* concerned about the durability of the pivot-point/bearing/eye-mounts on each end of the shock
These 2 points are made from either aluminum, or a quite-soft mild steel/alloy and I am a bit concerned about how they will stand-up to the pounding they will take under normal use.
Hopefully, the fact that the SIDES of these are "clamped" QUITE TIGHTLY in the frame mounts, means they will not WEAR on the pins/bolts which go through their centers.
(From what I can tell, the side-clamping should take the brunt of the strain, virtually eliminating movement/wear on the pins/ID of the "eyes".

- This aftermarket shock eliminates the "Remote-Controls" for pre-load and damping that were an integrated part of the OEM shock.

- The Pre-load adjustment (performed by turning a collar on the shaft of the shock) is 100% inaccessible once the unit is installed on this bike.
  This is just the way it is, with the mounting design on this bike.
  And really, how often do you need to play with the spring pre-load?

- The DAMPING adjustment is quite accessible with the unit installed, though a little awkward to reach way down at the bottom of the shock mount.

- I was disappointed when they would not sell me "rebuild parts" such as seals, etc.
I wanted to pre-order replacement 'wear-items' such as seals, so they could be installed when the originals eventually degrade.
My idea to pre-order these wear-item parts was just-in-case, Hagon is no longer in business when that day arrives.

Apparently this shock unit *is* rebuildable, but must be returned to Hagon in the UK for any kind of service.
Ah, well.  Hopefully it will last a long time.

Thanks again to everyone for suggestions and help in tracking down a replacement rear mono-shock, when I had almost given up.
Cheers,

P.S.  I also tried to source a new or used OHLINS unit for this motorcycle, with the plan to have a USED unit rebuilt before installation.
The correct Ohlins part # for reference is:  SU 615
But no luck.  Ohlins discontinued this part years ago, and I had zero success tracking down a USED one.

• Like 5