GS 1000 Essential upgrades

L O All, I’ve been away for a while on the XS650 project but just bought a 78’ GS1000E which is very tired and neglected.. I have a few beer tokens saved up so what do you think would be the best upgrades.. 88D91080-AF91-4CC3-BB35-B7BA0481423E.thumb.jpeg.f0fdd4da3fd603723adca82921989d06.jpeg

ive got a little list already in order of importance. 1E455228-4D6F-4ECE-A3D7-F09F0199FE0B.thumb.jpeg.cb6c4d435e492a83ab57e2eb8a681cb4.jpeg

first get it running sweet, so 1st change the Oil and filter, clean the carbs up, new plugs (possibly leads and caps) or go big and buy a full ignition upgrade kit from Grumpy1260..? 69B3AEF2-2A73-4102-8F2E-F7B9473786FA.thumb.jpeg.639a5b1ff4ad3bb0d57ed81033b4251c.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wraith said:

As you say first get it running,

Oil and filter

Air filter

Clean carbs (if they need it)

New plugs leads and caps if needed

Upgrade ignition if yours dose not work, otherwise just keep the OEM.

Then look at what you want to do, big wheels?

Seat cover.

It’s only running on 3 so I’m sure the carbs will be well cheesed up.. 

and If the forks and swingarm are toast.. then I might go down the bandit running gear and big wheels route but if it’s just needing seals and bearings I’ll replace them and run it as it is for a bit

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Fazz711 said:

1085 big bore. 

Bandit running gear. 

Mikuni RS carbs. 

Race fit exhaust 

All them are on my on the wish list but trying t’find B12 or a slingshot running gear at a reasonable price seems to be a problem within itself.. any other easy options out there.. teapot.. power screen.. maybe..? 

You've got the breaker point ignition I guess, Fit an electronic ignition from a 850, straight fit. do think you need the coils too. 

Probably cheapr then a Dyna2000, runs well then.

The GS1000 loves a 1085 with higher CR, porting the head will do a bit too, can get a nice/flat torque curve.

I had Mikuni RS34 on mine, no noticable power increase, but a very good throttle response!!

Exhaust is also something you can win some power.

Edited by Reinhoud
  • Like 2
57 minutes ago, Reinhoud said:

You've got the breaker point ignition I guess, Fit an electronic ignition from a 850, straight fit. do think you need the coils too. 

Probably cheapr then a Dyna2000, runs well then.

Doesn't run a D2k  It's a Dyna S system as there's no CDI on these.

Edited by CockneyRick
  • Like 2

First, that bike is a 79, not a 78 (not that there is much difference for what you want to do)

Here's a link for carb cleaning, service manual, etc   http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

If you don't want to swap suspension and wheels  right away, do the Salty_Monk Twinpot upgrade, cause old brakes suck

Definitely swap out points ignition for electronic, I've been running the Dyna S since 1983.

Engine upgrades are good, I've been happy with a 1085 Wiseco for years, otherwise it' stock  

• Like 1
On 8/30/2021 at 6:22 PM, BigT said:

First, that bike is a 79, not a 78 (not that there is much difference for what you want to do)

Here's a link for carb cleaning, service manual, etc   http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

If you don't want to swap suspension and wheels  right away, do the Salty_Monk Twinpot upgrade, cause old brakes suck

Definitely swap out points ignition for electronic, I've been running the Dyna S since 1983.

Engine upgrades are good, I've been happy with a 1085 Wiseco for years, otherwise it' stock  

Wrong.. It’s a ‘78.. See attached image.. who am I to question that.. 

C4EBD8DF-B148-45B8-AFC2-5199FFDF5B3A.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Model years vary by a year depending on whether US or European / UK market !

Yes exactly that mate and I guess the US&A got the latest model first so that would put us behind by a few batches.. same with my XS650 spec says it’s a ‘76 ‘C’ but VJMC dating says its a ‘75 ‘B’

4 hours ago, wraith said:

Now if you start saying what the DVLA say about year/models we will be up shit creek xD Because them Welsh lot couldn't tell which end of a Daffodil to smell :D

Steady on @wraith we get sterling service off the good old DVLA this side of the border (not!), one of them only has to sneeze there and they all fuck off home for a fortnight, they've become a laughing stock here in Wales.

BTW what the fuck's a daffodil?xD

Edited by eddiegsx
  • Like 1