1978 GS 1000 with bandit 1200 engine

Vosi

Hi guys I’m new here !! 

just bought a 1978 gs 1000 and would like to fit a 1200 bandit lump . Has anyone done this that could give me some info and any pictures if it’s been done .I will be looking to change the front forks and swingarm too . I have some busa forks lined up and I have a spare bandit swingarm laying around to put on it .  Thanks guys 

Edited by Vosi
Forgot some info

Main things to consider are drive sprocket position and exhaust. 

Sprocket close to swingarm tends to give better handing but can give problems with exhaust. 

Exhaust may need heeders extension to reach the ports. 

Swap into gs thou will be similar to swap to gsx so look for some of them as well in the projects. 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to OSS

You're in the wright place for what you need.

As @Fazz711 says, the gsx (et) are very similar in lots of ways.

The b12 lump will fit with lots of room in the gs1000 frame, I take it you're keeping the standard bodywork?

swing arm you will need top hats making to reduce the spindle sizes on the pivot point, and once you have your rear wheel in (take it you're using the b12 5.5" wheel?) You may need to go down to a 525 or 520 chain.

front end, have a look a All Ball Racing they have chart that give you all the bearing sizes for fork swaps.

as said above have a good look through the project pages on GS/gsx and that will give you good pointers.

start a build thread in the project pages with lots of pics as well (y)

• Like 1

ive got a GSX750ET and would like a bit more power,  the answer is a GSX1100 engine but like hen's teeth to find and not cheap if you do.  im resisting the temptation of putting a 1200 bandit engine in as i think it looks better with the air cooled engine.  i have a copy Kat with a 1200 motor in it so if i feel the need for speed i'll get that out.  but upgrading the suspension, brakes and wheels is the way to go  :tu

On 8/12/2021 at 7:38 AM, Fazz711 said:

Main things to consider are drive sprocket position and exhaust. 

Sprocket close to swingarm tends to give better handing but can give problems with exhaust. 

Exhaust may need heeders extension to reach the ports. 

Swap into gs thou will be similar to swap to gsx so look for some of them as well in the projects. 

Huh? How? Sprocket and exhaust are on opposite sides..

7 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Huh? How? Sprocket and exhaust are on opposite sides..

In other words:

Think wisely about the engine positioning in the frame:

more to the front is easier on the downtubes,

More to the back is easier on the chainrun.

Find a balance between .

• Like 3