Gsx750e frame

Jess14

Good morning 

I've just joined and I'm hoping to start a project thread but I need some advice from those in the know. 

I have an old gsx750 frame sitting at the back of my garage & fancy doing something with it. 

Now this is where it gets tricky, I done minor projects /restoration in the past but I've never done a frame up project before so please be gentle! 

I've not got a picture in my minds eye yet but I'd like to use 12 bandit motor, swingarm, wheels and front end... Pretty basic I know but as I say I'm learning. 

Things that worry me. 

Will engine fit in frame and will it require bracing, are mounting points going to be a nightmare, engine positioning with regards to down pipes /carbs, chain alignment. 

Alternatively I know gsx600/750 teapot running gear may be a better bet? Let me know your thoughts if you can, I'd be really grateful. Thanks 

• Like 1

Hi Jess. Welcome to the club! B12 motor will fit no bother. Lower engine mounts won’t be used. Not a problem. Frame bracing not required. B12 rear end fits, you’ll just need to weld shock mounts on the arm, top hat spacers for the spindle. Front end, either a stem change, or use Slingshot lower yoke and stem. B12 top yoke to retain risers. Don’t fall into the RF900 lower yoke trap. Stem is too short! Chain alignment can be solved sometimes by reversing a dished sprocket, trimming the face of the carrier, or an offset engine sprocket.  You’ll have more questions as you progress. Don’t be afraid to ask! 

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 6
11 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Hi Jess. Welcome to the club! B12 motor will fit no bother. Lower engine mounts won’t be used. Not a problem. Frame bracing not required. B12 rear end fits, you’ll just need to weld shock mounts on the arm, top hat spacers for the spindle. Front end, either a stem change, or use Slingshot lower yoke and stem. B12 top yoke to retain risers. Don’t fall into the RF900 lower yoke trap. Stem is too short! Chain alignment can be solved sometimes by reversing a dished sprocket, trimming the face of the carrier, or an offset engine sprocket.  You’ll have more questions as you progress. Don’t be afraid to ask! 

Thanks very much, seems I'm in the right place! I'll be along shortly in projects! 

• 4 months later...

So it's been a while, things have slowed up due to a divorce and ensuring child care battle .

Now that I'm getting somewhere with all of that I've dragged the frame outta storage and noticed something, mainly that it's later than I thought and as such is a mono shock frame.

Soooo, I'm going to start a mock build of the frame since I know the bandit motor will fit I'm working on front end and rear end.

The front is solved but what about the rear, originally I was looking at a bandit swingarm with tabs welded on but since it's a mono shock frame can I use the bandit arm and linkages? Or is there another route?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...