Oil leak from... Head studs?

Hi, I've noticed my boosted b12 has developed an oil leak from one of the studs by the cylinder base. My only question is how? I thought the only studs that carried oil had o ring gaskets and were completely concealed in the block. Yet this stud has oil seeping from where it threads into the block. Any ideas? Is this a sign of insufficient crankcase ventilation?

20210808_192531.jpg

1 hour ago, Reinhoud said:

The stud might need a bit off sealant on the thread. 

It might need a new base gasket.

That would be unfortunate as i replaced all gaskets 1000 miles ago. As for the source, it does seem to be seeping from there. I cleaned it off and watched it as it idled and some creeped out. Where have you guys tapped for extra breathers? I have the one off the oil fill currently.

24 minutes ago, rerb said:

Where have you guys tapped for extra breathers? I have the one off the oil fill currently.

Whilst some may say excessive I had a -8 from oil filler, -8 from cam cover std. breather, additional -10 from cam cover and a -10 from center of clutch cover! The -10's went to a vented and recirculating catch can, the -8's to a plain open catch can.

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Whilst some may say excessive I had a -8 from oil filler, -8 from cam cover std. breather, additional -10 from cam cover and a -10 from center of clutch cover! The -10's went to a vented and recirculating catch can, the -8's to a plain open catch can.

Right. I think ill go for another on the clutch cover.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:06 AM, rerb said:

That would be unfortunate as i replaced all gaskets 1000 miles ago. As for the source, it does seem to be seeping from there. I cleaned it off and watched it as it idled and some creeped out. Where have you guys tapped for extra breathers? I have the one off the oil fill currently.

The holes where the studs go in, are this blind holes, or all the way drilled? If drilled all the way, you need sealant on the studs when you put them in..

On 8/10/2021 at 9:48 PM, Reinhoud said:

The holes where the studs go in, are this blind holes, or all the way drilled? If drilled all the way, you need sealant on the studs when you put them in..

Not sure. This is the only spot where it leaks, and I didnt use sealant on any other stud. It might possibly be coming from the oil drain tubes too, but It's much more focused around the stud. I'm just going to roll with it, doesn't bother me much. If it lasts the next 2 months of riding before winter I'll double check everything when I tear the motor apart again. It was just weird to me how oil could come from there. 

• Like 1