gtx3071r Turbo

Gents,

I can get my hands on a free gtx3071r turbo, ball bearing, almost new.

My mate had it on his Subie, cranking out about 500hp, he got himself something with more output.

Now I'm not after big HP numbers, I have the idea that a bigger turbo with less boost might be better then a small turbo with a more boost.

I've got an VF20 now, full boost at 4000rpm, but a lot of detonation, I think the detonation is because of the small turbo.

But the gtx3071r, would that be too big? I've got 1245cc cylinders on my bike. 

Thanks

Edited by Reinhoud
15 minutes ago, no class said:

those gtx’s are the bomb …… that 3071 may be a bit big for your application but for almost free……. take it !

F040365A-F573-4BFA-88C7-825A1B850E32.jpeg

7EF9C780-A054-4C95-B5A5-85917EFB2EDB.jpeg

I'm thinking of taking it, I probably need a bigger intake pipe, that gives it less restrictions in the intake and exhaust, so most likely  better running off boost to a higher rpm..

I have no idea how to read those maps..

It's quite big turbo for your engine. I would guess it makes full boost somewhere around 6000-8000rpm.

Then another thing worth of noting is that if you run it at too low boost and air flow it won't be very efficient. If you look the compressor map you can see that anything under 200hp will be outside of the optimal efficiency range. So in the worst case it won't be any better regarding the exhaust pressure and air temp than some smaller turbo. But if you turn it up to 300hp / 1bar range then you start be at the sweet spot.

8 hours ago, Arttu said:

It's quite big turbo for your engine. I would guess it makes full boost somewhere around 6000-8000rpm.

Then another thing worth of noting is that if you run it at too low boost and air flow it won't be very efficient. If you look the compressor map you can see that anything under 200hp will be outside of the optimal efficiency range. So in the worst case it won't be any better regarding the exhaust pressure and air temp than some smaller turbo. But if you turn it up to 300hp / 1bar range then you start be at the sweet spot.

Hmmm.. That's pretty high rpm..

I should have internals what are strong enough, I can go up in HP numbers.. But it's not what I try to achieve, if it's there it's nice.

• 2 weeks later...