wrong speedo

fab

i have a 1990L 750 and i think it has a different speedo fitted to it(maybe off a slabby) it has a orange needle and has 280km. the tacho has a red needle.

the problem is that it reads nearly 20kms to high at all speeds 

does anyone know what its off first, and what does a original 1990 one look like.

what is the gear ratio on the hub drive( just to make sure i have the right one)

IMG_1998.jpg

Might be worth just checking you have the right front end in, particularly the wheel diameter. Or alternatively that you have a stock front tyre in, which should be a 120/70 ZR17. If the tyre height is different the speedo will not read true. For example, if you've got a 120/60 in there the speedo will read too high because the tyre is not so tall, hence it has to spin round quicker at a given speed like a smalle wheel does. Or put another way, when it's spinning round at an indicated speed the true speed is lower because the speedo is designed for a 70 profile tyre.

Edited by Crass
Extra detail

Interesting. I don't see how you're going to get the speedo recalibrated. Apart from the difficulty in finding someone to do the work and the considerable expense involved, the speedos are not designed to be opened up and have no obvious means of external adjustment. If the speedo is faulty replacement would ne a far simpler option. If the drive is faulty, ditto.

I suspect the speedo is faulty as from your photo the needle does not appear to be resting on the stop with the bike stationary.

Edited by Crass
11 hours ago, Crass said:

Interesting. I don't see how you're going to get the speedo recalibrated. Apart from the difficulty in finding someone to do the work and the considerable expense involved, the speedos are not designed to be opened up and have no obvious means of external adjustment. If the speedo is faulty replacement would ne a far simpler option. If the drive is faulty, ditto.

I suspect the speedo is faulty as from your photo the needle does not appear to be resting on the stop with the bike stationary.

i have had a few sealed speedos repaired my katana for one.

trying to find a good one is hard to do unless you know of one? do you?

its just the way the picture was taken it sits at 0

IMG_2159.jpg