just run out of sparks

Right, now we have made progress: 'the CDI produces sparks even when the engine remains static and is not even turning over on the starter '9_9. Check all the wiring and the ignition components as per TFM. Try another CDI unit from another bike, not from a Blandit  nor a Slabby, as they won't work with your current set-up.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Right then, the saga continues.

New coils ( as the originals were 31 years old ) made no difference.

Replacement CDi unit ( 1100 Slingshot ) fitted this evening and the old girl fired first time on the button !!

NOW ,  I carefully checked as before , and with the ignition on and the kill switch to run, there were NO sparks at any of the plugs.  Sparking only ocoured when i pressed the starter button.   This is exactly the same on the EFE .  I'm certain this has always been the case on all of the bikes i have owned.

I am currently a happy bunny , but cant help being confused over the fact that the information in Dezza's post seems to go against my findings.

I cant understand why the CDI unit would produce sparks on a static engine, what would be the point ?  I have just had this scenario on my bike ( plugs sparking on a static engine ) and it proved to be a faulty CDI unit.

Off to put Suzi back together.

Gaz

So, replacing the CDI with one from an 1100 slingshot results in the ignition system behaving as it should; it sparks only when the engine is spinning, e.g. when the starter is cranked and the bike runs as it should. Before, sparks were generated constantly whenever the ignition was switched on, even when the engine was not being cranked over and the bike failed to run at all. This strongly suggests that the original CDI was faulty :). Or am I missing something here?

Edited by Dezza

Dezza , no your not missing anything.  I think there has been a bit of confusion throughout this thread and I've added to it by misunderstanding your reply when you quoted  " the cdi produces sparks ............. ".   I took this to mean this is what the CDI unit SHOULD do, whereas you were basically quoting what i had described !!

Durrrrrrrr !  Thank you for your input , much appreciated.  I may swap the loom for a B12 ( winter project ) as old gsxr parts are getting hard to find.

GeorgeE17KO:   Cheers for the info , do you know of anyone who repairs these units ?

Gaz

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Gsx1100er said:

I am currently a happy bunny , but cant help being confused over the fact that the information in Dezza's post seems to go against my findings.

I cant understand why the CDI unit would produce sparks on a static engine, what would be the point ?  I have just had this scenario on my bike ( plugs sparking on a static engine ) and it proved to be a faulty CDI unit.

It shouldn't spark with engine not turning UNLESS the trigger wheel has stopped exactly over the pick-up but even then it should only spark once at 'key on'. The system requires the trigger wheel to pass the inductive pick-up to induce a voltage to trigger the ign. electronics. Faulty sealed electronics are a PITA to trouble shoot!

1 hour ago, Gsx1100er said:

Dezza , no your not missing anything.  I think there has been a bit of confusion throughout this thread and I've added to it by misunderstanding your reply when you quoted  " the cdi produces sparks ............. ".   I took this to mean this is what the CDI unit SHOULD do, whereas you were basically quoting what i had described !!

Durrrrrrrr !  Thank you for your input , much appreciated.  I may swap the loom for a B12 ( winter project ) as old gsxr parts are getting hard to find.

GeorgeE17KO:   Cheers for the info , do you know of anyone who repairs these units ?

Gaz

if you can get it apart without totally fucking it up is more of an issue. I've repaired a few in my time. If memory serves isn't there a place in London that repairs ECU's? Be worth asking them. https://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=11