just run out of sparks

Just out for a bimble on my slingshot 7/12 when it comes to a sudden stop ( no warning ) and refuses to start. Checked all fuses ( ok)  and all electrics working fine.

Engine cranks OK but no start.  Just got it recovered home and there is no spark at the plugs. quick check under the tank and all seems ok ( no loose / damaged wires ).

Any ideas as to possible problem ?  Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Gaz

As usual with electrics it could be any one of several things which have a bearing on the particular fault. There isn't much point anyone randomly suggesting stuff, the only way to sort it is to work through a process of elimination of all the ignition circuit components. 

• Like 1

Cheers guys,  just had a look round and

1. ign on getting 12v at both coils

2. Getting 12v at the CDI

Flicking the kill switch several times has resulted in a constant spark at the plugs ( in the run position ) !!    Stripped the switch and it crumbled to nothing.  if I join the two wires that go to the switch I get a constant spark at the plugs . Rechecked all block connectors , fuses all seem ok.

Any ideas ??      Anyone got a RH switch gear for a 1990 slingshot for sale ?

Gaz

7 minutes ago, Gsx1100er said:

Cheers guys,  just had a look round and

1. ign on getting 12v at both coils

2. Getting 12v at the CDI

Flicking the kill switch several times has resulted in a constant spark at the plugs ( in the run position ) !!    Stripped the switch and it crumbled to nothing.  if I join the two wires that go to the switch I get a constant spark at the plugs . Rechecked all block connectors , fuses all seem ok.

Any ideas ??      Anyone got a RH switch gear for a 1990 slingshot for sale ?

Gaz

any ideas to what ?????  if you have your spark back does it run ? 

On 7/21/2021 at 10:01 PM, Gsx1100er said:

Anyone got a RH switch gear for a 1990 slingshot for sale ?

Gaz

From what I know, any of the Suzuki switch gear will work from the gsxr400 to the gsxf and blandit. The b6/b12 look different but do the same job.

If you get stuck most probably got one in the garage but I don't think it has a plug on it.

• Like 1

Cheers bud , put  new switch gear on but made no difference . Rechecked all wiring for continuity, cleaned and checked all fuse board connections, cleaned all CDI connections, all seem good.

Changing the coils this week , if that don't fix it , its got to be the CDI unit ?

Would the CDI from an 1100 gsxr be ok to use on the bike. Its using 750 wiring loom and a 12 Bandit motor ?

Thanks again

Gaz

9 minutes ago, Gsx1100er said:

Cheers bud , put  new switch gear on but made no difference . Rechecked all wiring for continuity, cleaned and checked all fuse board connections, cleaned all CDI connections, all seem good.

Changing the coils this week , if that don't fix it , its got to be the CDI unit ?

Would the CDI from an 1100 gsxr be ok to use on the bike. Its using 750 wiring loom and a 12 Bandit motor ?

Thanks again

Gaz

Is it using the 750 CDI? If so it must also be using the 750 ignition pick up and one from an 1100 will work. If it is using the Blandit CDI, then it still has a Blandit pick up and an 1100 CDI will not work as it differs to the GSXR units. Also, if it has a B12 ignition, there must be a resistor in the ignition switch wiring somewhere. If so and it's become disconnected the bike won't run.

Its using the 750 CDI with 750 ignition advance . the actual pickup is still the bandit unit ( although I do have the 750 pickup plate if I need to swap it out ). using 750 ignition switch.  Its worked fine and run well up to the point it just died on me.

If it was supposed to have the resistor in the switch wiring and it didnt, would it have run at all ??

Gaz

I am getting sparks at all 4 plugs when I put the kill switch to the run position. I thought it was a faulty kill switch but I've changed it and it made no difference. Obviously the bike won't start if all the plugs are firing constantly as the timing is not operating correctly. There is no difference to the sparks when I press the starter button. I am starting a process of elimination as to possible faulty components.

1 hour ago, Gsx1100er said:

I am getting sparks at all 4 plugs when I put the kill switch to the run position. I thought it was a faulty kill switch but I've changed it and it made no difference. Obviously the bike won't start if all the plugs are firing constantly as the timing is not operating correctly. There is no difference to the sparks when I press the starter button. I am starting a process of elimination as to possible faulty components.

so all 4 plugs are sparking at the same time when the kill switch is in the ON position but your NOT pressing the starter button ? is that what you are saying ? 

How can you tell that all plugs fire exactly simultaneously? It all happens really quickly, and to a human eye, each 1-4; 2-3 pair that do fire simultaneously as they should as it's a wasted spark system, would still appear as 'all four firing together.' Even at 1,500 rpm the engine spins 25 times a second, which unless you have the eyes of a dragonfly, would all blur into one...

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Dezza said:

How can you tell that all plugs fire exactly simultaneously? It all happens really quickly, and to a human eye, each 1-4; 2-3 pair that do fire simultaneously as they should as it's a wasted spark system, would still appear as 'all four firing together.' Even at 1,500 rpm the engine spins 25 times a second, which unless you have the eyes of a dragonfly, would all blur into one...

:L