Run with no base gasket

Something like Loctite MR5972 probably

Theres another one i didn't bookmark, i know they use it to seal the half cases of Porsche or other split case engines. It's main trick, is that it is the contact between metals that polymerises the substance, otherwise it is oil soluble. The idea being that if any extra seeps out on the internal side of the engine, dry gummy stuff won't risk falling off and blocking an oilway or such

• Like 2

Loctite 5188 is good but removing parts can be difficult later.

I have used Hylomar because it´s easier to open later. I have blended one part of Hylomar to two parts of acetone

and then by using small paint brush painted both sealing surfaces.  After the parts have dried an hour I have assembled them.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Joseph said:

Something like Loctite MR5972 probably

Theres another one i didn't bookmark, i know they use it to seal the half cases of Porsche or other split case engines. It's main trick, is that it is the contact between metals that polymerises the substance, otherwise it is oil soluble. The idea being that if any extra seeps out on the internal side of the engine, dry gummy stuff won't risk falling off and blocking an oilway or such

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Loctite-574-Case-Sealant-p17329.html

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Query - Why?

Are those few thou for a steel / paper gasket so precious to gain against the leak potential?

Yes very good point :D it was a thought if it could be done ok, as the base gasket on my gs1000 is starting to weep and I'm going to be striping the top end off it this winter.

On 7/16/2021 at 12:08 PM, wraith said:

Yes very good point :D it was a thought if it could be done ok, as the base gasket on my gs1000 is starting to weep and I'm going to be striping the top end off it this winter.

Probably the oval O rings for the oil feed

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2021 at 5:14 PM, Gixer1460 said:

Query - Why?

Are those few thou for a steel / paper gasket so precious to gain against the leak potential?

Made my own velamoit base gasket with nitrate "o"rings  

Have heard of guys using extra heavy duty tin foil for base gasket . . . 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Put a new gasket and apply a thin layer of Yamabond #4.  That gasket will never leak.  All you need is a very thin wipe on the gasket and the metal surfaces.  I had a troublesome oil sump  on my '73 M.G Midget, and put Yamabond #4 on the gasket, let it dry.  The next day I realized I forgot to put the oil pick up screen on.  When I tried to remove the oil pan, the gasket split perfectly in half.  I put in the oil pickup screen assembly screen, applied Yamabond $4, and it has not leaked in over 30 years.  I've used it to seal cases on motorcycles.  It's a bitch to remove, but it will not leak.  Suzuki Bond 4 is the same stuff.  It also works really well when there is no gasket available.  Gaskets are easy to make, so I never buy that. IMHO  :)