heavy clutch pull

theirs 2 things i don't like about my 750 ET, 1) the exhaust sounds shite so i'll have to change that when i have the dosh, and 2) the clutch is just too fecking heavy !!!!  its had new plates and standard springs as it was slipping when i accelerated hard, also a new cable. the OEM ET clutch lever was pretty scabby and slightly bent so i used a tidy 600 bandit one i had, but because of my dodgy joints it just wasn't nice to ride :( so after some research i was thinking of using one of them fugly EZ pull things but what they do is just reduce the pivot gap to the nipple,  i compared the distance form the pivot and nipple hole on both levers and the ET one is 5mm shorter, so cleaned it up and fitted it and its much better. so anyone with a heavy clutch check the pivot to nipple distance, ive gone from 35mm to 30mm and its made a difference. :tu  

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

the quest for a lighter clutch continues :S  bought a 10mm x 6mm x 8mm bearing and pushed the worn brass bush out of the lever and pressed the bearing in. i don't thing it feels any lighter but it does feel smoother, its not as easy as the katzuma clutch as that is a 2 finger job but its defo better than it was and not that noticeable when riding :tu

20210716_151113.jpg

20210716_151206.jpg

• Like 2

I've often wondered if the opposite to a slipper clutch could be made.

Light springs that are backed up with a load related cam.

Not a DIY job for most people though.

There's a lot of us that struggle, or find the clutches to be heavy.

Mike

That's for one of the drag clutches that uses centrifugal force to load up the clutch.

My invention would slide up a ramp like a slipper clutch in reverse.

As soon as you ease the throttle the ramp would back off, and allow normal operation.

Just an idea though.

Works lightly on low torque, and increases the plate pressure as the torque increases.  The slipper clutches lift the plates for you when there is a high torque in the reverse direction.

Got to be possible.

You might find if you slipped the clutch to set off too fast it would prevent you slipping it . No idea really.

The point  is that many riders do have a problem with heavy clutches, as evidenced by the number of queries on how to make it lighter.

But as I've said, I've no idea how it could be done practically.

23 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

Works lightly on low torque, and increases the plate pressure as the torque increases.  The slipper clutches lift the plates for you when there is a high torque in the reverse direction.

Got to be possible.

You might find if you slipped the clutch to set off too fast it would prevent you slipping it . No idea really.

The point  is that many riders do have a problem with heavy clutches, as evidenced by the number of queries on how to make it lighter.

But as I've said, I've no idea how it could be done practically.

yeah i get what you mean, the more torque its under the tighter it gets and when off the rev's the pressure comes off and the lighter springs take over.  nice theory but why hasn't anyone ever come up with it ???    

8 hours ago, coombehouse said:

Most of the new bike manufacturers have developed something along the lines of what you are talking about using ramps & the like. Google slip assist clutch.

Only cos most of new bike riders are gurls and never done manual labour. Hard work generates strength. . . . . strength beats GSX clutch everytime LOL! Next the factories will come up with power brakes and power steering for the delicate darlings ! ! ! 

• Like 2

I bought a Frando hydraulic conversion for my efe engined bike. A total waste of money. It made SFA difference to the pull of the clutch. I sold it on and went back to a cable. What did make a difference was making sure all my cable and its mechanism was well routed and in tip top order and realising I had heavy duty clutch springs. Changing to 3 HD and 3 OEM springs made a world of difference. Frando are to bike clutches are what Fredo was to the Corleone family: fucking useless :).

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Dezza said:

I bought a Frando hydraulic conversion for my efe engined bike. A total waste of money. It made SFA difference to the pull of the clutch. I sold it on and went back to a cable. What did make a difference was making sure all my cable and its mechanism was well routed and in tip top order and realising I had heavy duty clutch springs. Changing to 3 HD and 3 OEM springs made a world of difference. Frando are to bike clutches are what Fredo was to the Corleone family: fucking useless :).

Don't hold back ! :)

• Like 1

This isn't one of those "Oldskool Suzuki Forum" trapped or binding cable issues is it ......sure I saw another around here recently . :ph34r:

Other than the hydraulic route , another might be too take a gander at various other clutch lever options , see if one with a better leverage , bigger pivot to cable distance etc could be found to fit . 

Edited by PanzerWomble
  • Like 1