Anyone dabble with nitrous?

My bike is running crazy strong at 14 psi, almost un-ridable at full throttle, but I noticed it's a total dog below 5 or 6k rpms, which definitely slows me down with taller gearing than stock. I just rode a buddies fz1000 and was amazed at the low end power, I could pop the wheel at 5k in second with only throttle. That got me thinking of ways to return some power down to the lower range while keeping the face melting top end. 

Since my engine is carbureted, wouldn't a wet shot of nitrous make tons of sense? No jetting or fueling change required, plug and play, and can be used off boost for smoother power delivery. I've also seen it has cooling capabilities too, so using it on boost would help keep cyl temps down. Has anyone here tried nitrous with boost? I see 1lb wet kits for around $900 with adjustable shot sizes, seems like a fairly inexpensive way to add even more insanity without major work being needed. Assuming It's done right. 

Don't do it ! Having raced with nitrous and around ProMod bikes running nitrous it is the most unpredictable performance enhancer available bar none! Many have tries with varying success using a 'little wake-up' shot of gas to get a low end boost. NOS MUST BE USED WOT - if not you risk real damage! Whoever said it has cooling effects is mad - it may have a small inlet cooling effect but its use produces stupid quantities of heat and get it wrong - component melting qualities! And the elephant in the room is . . . . . . . it always runs out! A 1lb bottle will give maybe 20 - 30 seconds @ 60hp hit, or maybe a minute @ 30hp hit.

This is the quandary with turbo's, they suffer low down if you want a good top end. You either get a smaller turbo to boost earlier, and add water injection and intercooling to reduce max boost temps so reducing top end boost loss or drop a few teeth and live with the reduced top end. Sophisticated EFI / ECU's can help by adding fuel and retarding timing low down to build boost artificially but its the nature of the beast - you can't have everything!

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Don't do it ! Having raced with nitrous and around ProMod bikes running nitrous it is the most unpredictable performance enhancer available bar none! Many have tries with varying success using a 'little wake-up' shot of gas to get a low end boost. NOS MUST BE USED WOT - if not you risk real damage! Whoever said it has cooling effects is mad - it may have a small inlet cooling effect but its use produces stupid quantities of heat and get it wrong - component melting qualities! And the elephant in the room is . . . . . . . it always runs out! A 1lb bottle will give maybe 20 - 30 seconds @ 60hp hit, or maybe a minute @ 30hp hit.

This is the quandary with turbo's, they suffer low down if you want a good top end. You either get a smaller turbo to boost earlier, and add water injection and intercooling to reduce max boost temps so reducing top end boost loss or drop a few teeth and live with the reduced top end. Sophisticated EFI / ECU's can help by adding fuel and retarding timing low down to build boost artificially but its the nature of the beast - you can't have everything!

Damn, I guess the nitrous forum sites are a little biased with their descriptions then Thanks for the info

many years ago a guy came in and bought a piston for a dt175mx, 2 weeks later he came in again and bought another one. 3-4 weeks after that he was in again for yet another one !!!!  so i asked him did he have a problem with the bike, he said no its the N.O. it keeps burning holes in the pistons :S  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, rerb said:

Damn, I guess the nitrous forum sites are a little biased with their descriptions then Thanks for the info

Don't get me wrong - I love Nitrous! But just not for this application. When your paying for stuff, melting pistons and bending valves / dropping heads, it can get old, very quickly but my god the hit with gas is electric LOL!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

LMAO at some of the responses.

It's 2022 nitrous is very safe unless your ignorant on installing it & jetting.

First off how much boost are you running?

Secondly has the bike been tuned on a quality dyno that has a Eddie current brake so the bike sees a load & not just free rolling?

If it has what's the air/fuel ratio looking like before the boost starts then how does it respond to the boost?

Your much better off to call the actual nitrous companies & talk to people that specialize in tuning and nitrous knowledge as some of the info you were giving here doesn't make sense.

We use small nitrous kit's on all kinds of turbo engines as a mechanical intercooler as it does have Major cooling properties. Anyone burning Anything let alone even nipping spark plug ground straps NEEDS Major help in 2022. There's endless safety measures now that will cutoff the nitrous way before there's ANY damage to anything

On 7/6/2021 at 2:45 AM, rerb said:

My bike is running crazy strong at 14 psi, almost un-ridable at full throttle, but I noticed it's a total dog below 5 or 6k rpms,

Is it a Draw Thru or Blow Thru Set up ? 

Your description of its traits points to a draw thru  ?

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/21/2022 at 3:49 AM, Duckndive said:

Is it a Draw Thru or Blow Thru Set up ? 

Your description of its traits points to a draw thru  ?

Blow thru - fixed the issue of it having 0 power until 6k by shaving the head a mm. Gained 40hp from 4k and up off boost just from that. Used to hit 100hp at 7200 now it hits 100 at 5800, no more need for nitrous lol