1230 - blow spark plug out of the head....... Kat

Yep - I was riding along and bang... a huge noise gave me the shits.

I though the exhaust must have fallen off... piston in bits or crank .... turned out No. 2 spark plug broke free and wanted to make a run for it.

The thread is gone.. so I will helicoil all 4.

Questions.

Can i remove the head while the engine is still in the Katana?

Will there be room to clear the studs?

What are the best helicoils? I hear there are some real good ones?

Any advice?

16 minutes ago, Dukeman said:

Just to say - the motor is 1150 EFE - there is not much room between the frame and the top of the motor.

I have had the cam cover off - no problem there but it is a tight fit.

For all the aggro, cussing and swearing, you may as well yank the whole engine, then more space and less chance of dropping shit down the chain tunnel. Couple of mates + beer (after its out) = easy job!

10 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

For all the aggro, cussing and swearing, you may as well yank the whole engine, then more space and less chance of dropping shit down the chain tunnel. Couple of mates + beer (after its out) = easy job!

+1 for engine out.  It's not a big job if there are a couple of you. It will make the repair so much easier.

OK - so the motor is coming out.... well that just means LOTS of extra work.

The frame need painting... lots to do!

What size is the spark plug thread..

I can guess at M14 x 1.25mm but I not sure without measuring a plug.

Thanks guys for the input... I really wanted to pull the head and fix it in a couple of hours...

Motor out will be done with my son (and he will whinge and moan... hes 18), gone are the days I could do it on my own!

I don't know if the Kat frame is tighter than E frame but on my E it wasn't too difficult to get the head off while the engine was staying in the frame. Naturally everything would be easier with bare engine, once you have got the engine out. But like you were anticipating that will probably bring up some additional little things to fix at the same go...

The plug thread is M14x1.25mm. Thread is M12x1.25.

Edited by Arttu
Corrected wrong info.
23 hours ago, Dukeman said:

Yep - I was riding along and bang... a huge noise gave me the shits.

I though the exhaust must have fallen off... piston in bits or crank .... turned out No. 2 spark plug broke free and wanted to make a run for it.

The thread is gone.. so I will helicoil all 4.

Questions.

Can i remove the head while the engine is still in the Katana?

Will there be room to clear the studs?

What are the best helicoils? I hear there are some real good ones?

Any advice?

I had the same with my Merc, a shop put a sort of sleeve in it, I still have the tap, and only 1 sleeve, I think you ca get it at an automotive parts store.

Thanks - I have found a shop with the Time Sert tool kit - just need to get the inserts.

Planning on doing all 4!

- Clutch is slipping at high revs

- Starter motor kicks back when starting if i am not careful.. hit the starter button and slowly open the choke and it kicks in to life RS36.. carbs, otherwsie it can kick back.

So yes these things need to be addressed.

Timing chain.. does it need to be split? Can not remember? - Has an APE manual chain adjuster.

14 minutes ago, Dukeman said:

- Clutch is slipping at high revs - Could be oil? could be springs?

- Starter motor kicks back when starting if i am not careful.. hit the starter button and slowly open the choke and it kicks in to life RS36.. carbs, otherwsie it can kick back. Kick back possibly Ignition timing ie. too advanced or maybe weakened battery?

Timing chain.. does it need to be split? Can not remember? - Has an APE manual chain adjuster. To remove head - No! Just unbolt the chain sprockets off the cams, put some wire / string through chain and then drop chain down tunnel. Wire / string help fishing it out on reassembly.

Answers in RED

i know its a ball ache but when ever ive done plug threads ive always pulled the head off, its just the thought of any cuttings sitting in the combustion chamber, yeah you can use grease but its not a guarantee you won't drop any bits.  just my way :tu 

5 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Isn't that a car plug size? I always thought they were M12 !

Yes, you are right! Sorry for brainfart. I was recalling using an old plug to make an adapter for M14x1.25 oil port but obviously that was some old car plug...

So correct thread is M12x1.25.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:42 PM, TonyGee said:

i know its a ball ache but when ever ive done plug threads ive always pulled the head off, its just the thought of any cuttings sitting in the combustion chamber, yeah you can use grease but its not a guarantee you won't drop any bits.  just my way :tu 

I tried to fix sparkplug thread once with head on, but there was quite a bit of swarf in the cylinder after cutting threat..

I tried to use a cvacuum cleaner to clean it out.After that I needed to take the head of for another reason, there was quite a bit of swarf left in the cylinder

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mikethemechanic said:

Helicoil Ends can protrude slightly into Combustion Chamber. Causes Preignition and engine damage at Hi RPM. Timeserts are the  proper way to do the thread repairs.  If you go to all the Bother removing head do Time serts.  On my Race Heads I put Timeserts in every one. 

side drag bike.jpg

Are you talking about the standard helicoils?

For sparkplugs something else is used