new guy saying hello

Hi folks  Newbie saying hi and a quick intro

My name's Jon and have been a lover of many things "Suzuki" .

I'm in a long term relationship with an 86 750 slabby I'm currently working on right now. She's been with me since 2004 and only ridden for 3 years in my ownership. Long term storage since then as "Life and stuff" seem to have gotten in the way. (kids, wife, house etc.)

Fast forward to 2018 and it was time to get started with the oil boiler.

Rolling chassis completed last year with new bearings etc right through. Just needs tyres and wheels sorting.

Currently engine stripped right back to nothing waiting for some enthusiasm to kick in to measure oil clearances and get stuff ordered.

I can't say enough how awesome this site is for inspiration and ideas. Love it

Of course pics will follow 

atb

Jonny "oddsocks"

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, oddsocks said:

Hi folks  Newbie saying hi and a quick intro

My name's Jon and have been a lover of many things "Suzuki" .

I'm in a long term relationship with an 86 750 slabby I'm currently working on right now. She's been with me since 2004 and only ridden for 3 years in my ownership. Long term storage since then as "Life and stuff" seem to have gotten in the way. (kids, wife, house etc.)

Fast forward to 2018 and it was time to get started with the oil boiler.

Rolling chassis completed last year with new bearings etc right through. Just needs tyres and wheels sorting.

Currently engine stripped right back to nothing waiting for some enthusiasm to kick in to measure oil clearances and get stuff ordered.

I can't say enough how awesome this site is for inspiration and ideas. Love it

Of course pics will follow 

atb

Jonny "oddsocks"

Welcome Jonny! 
They're a good bunch on here, and you'll learn a ton of useful stuff to help you keep that slabby running for many years to come! 

Thanks gents.

My shed is in a awful mess at the moment.  Stuff quite literally everywhere.

I know where it all is, but you really don't want to see!

I will make an effort and have some pics on here by the weekend.

I do have a quick question though.

Yoshi ignition cover that I have and trial fitted but won't clear  the stock oil pressure switch.  Any ideas?

Hello Johnny

Welcome. Owned my 85 slabbie for 25 odd years, 2 restorations, all original bar the exhaust.  Waking from the dead now after 2 yr lay up after work on other projects kept me too busy. Stabil 1 marine fuel stabilizer  is your best friend

4 hours ago, clivegto said:

Hi Johnny, I blanked the oil pressure switch off then fitted it to a oil way in the sump. B12 sump but in a 750 slabby frame. 

Thanks for the reply.  I was wondering whether perhaps I could find a slimmer type of pressure switch to maintain some sort of originality about it, but as I'm not going for a 100% rivet counted resto more a resto-mod but still wearing most of its "original clothing" so to speak.  More in keeping with the OSS ethos of genetically modifying an extinct species (always liked that about this site )

Has anyone got any pics that shows where to plumb in the switch?  Have already read through quite a lot of older posts on oil pressure and what NOT to do etc. and still find myself a little confused with it!

3 hours ago, wsn03 said:

Hello Johnny

Welcome. Owned my 85 slabbie for 25 odd years, 2 restorations, all original bar the exhaust.  Waking from the dead now after 2 yr lay up after work on other projects kept me too busy. Stabil 1 marine fuel stabilizer  is your best friend

I know exactly what you mean by using fuel stabiliser.  Used it in one of my previous bikes (ahem an unmentionable american brand) and seemed to work well enough.

Out of interest as we're briefly talking about fuel, what do others think about this new E10 with unleaded petrol?  As far as I'm aware it won't be available at the pumps until September and was wondering what you guys do for fuel or even a fuel additive in your bikes.  I'm more concerned with the long term effects of having a solvent in the fuel which if left unchecked can lead to some internal damage with carbs and fuel lines etc.   I only say this as I've not yet managed to clarify whether a Suzuki motorcycle manufactured in the 80's is actually safe to run on this "new" fuel?  

I guess that there's plenty of us that have come across this same problem before with blocked up carbs etc especially after sitting for long periods of time.  Ethanol has a lot to answer for.

29 minutes ago, oddsocks said:

More in keeping with the OSS ethos of genetically modifying an extinct species (always liked that about this site )

Has anyone got any pics that shows where to plumb in the switch?  

My one is genetically modified to 260hp with ohlins suspension, carbon fibre wheels & braced frame. IMG_20210629_155444.thumb.jpg.95378918b8783dd4234d71e00300e5e1.jpg I used the standard switch externally. IMG_20210702_185429.thumb.jpg.d91737346326c457405109d32b3df40b.jpg

• Like 1

Funny, I was reading your build thread just last night with this bike. Hats off to you sir. Lot of work gone into that one.

How big are your neck muscles and your fore arms  after wrestling with 260hp?  and how well behaved is this actually in "real world" situations.  Power all at once or is it more progressive with a well trained right hand?  Interesting.

Thanks for the reply re oil switch.  Will have a closer look shortly when I get into my engine rebuild in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, oddsocks said:

I know exactly what you mean by using fuel stabiliser.  Used it in one of my previous bikes (ahem an unmentionable american brand) and seemed to work well enough.

Out of interest as we're briefly talking about fuel, what do others think about this new E10 with unleaded petrol?  As far as I'm aware it won't be available at the pumps until September and was wondering what you guys do for fuel or even a fuel additive in your bikes.  I'm more concerned with the long term effects of having a solvent in the fuel which if left unchecked can lead to some internal damage with carbs and fuel lines etc.   I only say this as I've not yet managed to clarify whether a Suzuki motorcycle manufactured in the 80's is actually safe to run on this "new" fuel?  

I guess that there's plenty of us that have come across this same problem before with blocked up carbs etc especially after sitting for long periods of time.  Ethanol has a lot to answer for.

Well re fuel...im guessing the Super unleaded will still have the lowest or zero ethanol content. I'll just fill as normal during use. Stabil 1 marine seems to be the best for storage, so I'll do the same old, fill tank to the brim to stop rust, but plenty of Stabil 1 and a 5 mile run before laying up for winter. 

Where are you based? 

21 hours ago, wsn03 said:

Well re fuel...im guessing the Super unleaded will still have the lowest or zero ethanol content. I'll just fill as normal during use. Stabil 1 marine seems to be the best for storage, so I'll do the same old, fill tank to the brim to stop rust, but plenty of Stabil 1 and a 5 mile run before laying up for winter. 

Where are you based? 

I'm in Bristol.

10 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

you can remove the ethanol from the petrol, so it won't damage the carbs internals during storage.

However without ethanol the octane rating goes down considerably so it's not suitable for riding.

An elderly mate of mine with his classic cars swears by using castrol valve master which basically has an octane booster in it along with something that replaces the original lead that was in petrol.  For his usage at least there's been no problems, I was thinking if perhaps similar things could occur with an old say what now!? with regards to pinking and valve seat damage etc. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi oddsocks,

I'm a newby too but really quite ancient. In 1976 in the days of the 750cc unmentionable "I'd rather eat worms than ride a  _ _ _ _ _ ."  

This bike was ran on the normal economy fuel. In Yorkshire they sold a fuel called Cleveland Discol which was actually 10% alcohol.

In this unmentionable bike using this Discol fuel, the bike would do 120mph.  On normal pump fuel the bike did 112 to 114mph.

I reckon the bike ran leaner because of 90% petrol and might have run hotter but the 10% alcohol cooled it back down. 

Perhaps the bike was running rich and the Discol adjusted it for me.  No mention of rotting rubber seals affected by the alcohol in those days.

• Like 1