Wider tires fitting older rims properly

Ok Gang,

I’ve done a bunch of research on this topic and I found a bunch of good information but I still have a question or two.

I know that many rims can accommodate a wider tire but it’s not suggested due to the fact that the shape of the tire gets squeezed, the dynamics of the contact patch area changes, and it behaves differently in corners other than how it was designed to behave……I got all that.

My research has lead me to the conclusion that “allegedly” the Dunlop GP-A 190/60R17 rear tire will fit a 5.5 x 17” rear rim correctly and not be “squeezed”.

In other words it’s supposed to look & perform as it would on a 6” rim.

This guy: (Dunlop GP-A 190/60ZR17)

GPA-Pro_rear_3-4.png.77f6d4e1168aea447ea6c43dd6304729.png

Hopefully some of you in here will have experience in this area and be able to speak to it.

If this is true, then my new dilemma is finding either a 130 x 17" or 140 x 17" front tire that will properly fit on a 3.5 x 17” front rim, and also not be squeezed while performing properly.

Basically I’m looking for a 130 x 17” or 140 x 17” front tire that will fit my 1995 (3.5 x 17”) front rim, and I need a 190 x 17” rear tire that will fit my 1995 (5.5 x 17”) rear rim, and they both need to fit properly.

As always, all comments are welcome, thanks

45 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Why not just use 120 and 180 tyres?

Great question......

The 120/180 set up is fine, but I'd like a more aggressive "look"

Long story short, this bike is a complete custom build that went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over budget a long time ago and I absolutely don't feel like sourcing different wheels at this point.

Secondly: it took months, and tons of energy, time, effort, and machine work to make the existing rear wheel work, including machining a custom axle bolt, and modification of the frame to make room for the chain, so there's no way I'm throwing a monkey wrench at all of that by switching up with a different rear wheel.

If it's not possible then I'll leave it alone, but I've scoured the internet for days on this subject and it looks like hundreds of people (including racers) have done it, so it can't be impossible to do.

Edited by Neveragain55

The commas should be on "aggressive", not "looks".

Nobody will feel any fear/awe over 10mm extra rubber when seeing your bike

xD

You will definitely be better off fitting the correct size of tyres for the rims you have. 

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 2
54 minutes ago, Joseph said:

The commas should be on "aggressive", not "looks".

Nobody will feel any fear/awe over 10mm extra rubber when seeing your bike

xD

You will definitely be better off fitting the correct size of tyres for the rims you have. 

True its only a pinch wider and your probably right in that  it wouldn't be very noticeable, but........

It's just one of those "I want what I want" situations.

Like I said, if it can't be done, it can't be done, but I don't live in the world of "it can't be done"

If that were the case, 90% of what's been done to this bike would have never been done......

you can get 2 tires that are the same size but one will look wider.  i spoke to our local bike tire fitter a while back and he knew what 180 tires looked wider than others.  might be worth talking to someone who knows which ones look the widest.  just a thought. ;) 

1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

you can get 2 tires that are the same size but one will look wider.  i spoke to our local bike tire fitter a while back and he knew what 180 tires looked wider than others.  might be worth talking to someone who knows which ones look the widest.  just a thought. ;) 

Good point I'll ask some people I know that are in the business to get there opinion.....

1 hour ago, badger said:

A pirelli diablo supercorsa 180/60 scrubs hard on my chain, a continental race attack has about 10mm clearance.

From what I know about Pirelli tires they have very aggressive lean angles & edges for aggressive cornering.

I'll check out the Continentals, thanks...

3 hours ago, yantosh said:

done a couple of complete custom builds myself , got any pics, sounds good? 

The pic with the rim without a tire was taken before all of the machine work to get it to center up, the rear wheel is centered now but we still have to "dish" the left side of the frame where the chain routes in order for the chain to not hit the frame. We're also going to reinforce the frame by welding in braces.

The picture with the motor in shows how we're currently mocking her up. Once everything has been fitted, everything will come apart for more customized frame work to be done including powder coat.

The picture with the Black Widow exhaust that I got from the UK fits the motor (1989 GSXR100 Slingshot completely rebuilt and punched out with an 1186 Wiseco kit and tons of other goodies). The headers don't work though because of course we have a 1989 GSXR1100 motor in a 1980 GS750 frame, and exhaust tubes 1 & 4 bump into the downtube's of the frame.

So we have to have an exhaust system custom made to fit. There are no "off-the-shelf" items anywhere that will fit our setup.

This is not a: "slap a bunch of used parts together & go" project.

Everything on this bike has been either completely rebuilt or will be, and all the wheel bearings, spacers, nuts, bolts, washers, electric's, controls, etc., etc., etc. are "mostly" new Suzuki parts from Japan. I tried my best to stay away from eBlag as much as possible and you don't want to know what I've got invested in this thing at this point......:/

We've been at this for close to 2 years now, and she still won't be ready until next summer.

73.thumb.jpg.917738ac3f204cfd83502f3bdd756786.jpg74.thumb.jpg.ee87037e88fcb5d4be7f809244e9d6a6.jpg

75.thumb.jpg.c36387d8b4299d492b589ed957863f0f.jpg76.thumb.jpg.3469c82c838fde79319940a2905f0396.jpg

85.thumb.jpg.a22e713f30187ba096dc34a83c9ae04e.jpg86.thumb.jpg.795474e14fcccdb46e7396c8263a58f7.jpgimagejpeg_0(62).thumb.jpg.08735b8aebc01c2e1f0fb9b7f385d7c3.jpgimagejpeg_0(63).thumb.jpg.33e6f90300f72da600da4f951d90e8d5.jpg1483520504_ProjectX32.thumb.jpg.e1571f75951a7f8ecf8532de547fe4c5.jpg

Edited by Neveragain55

Funny, coz it looks like a lot of used parts….

…..triumphs rocket III run a sillyphatt 17 inch front tyre, but it doesn’t look aggressive, it just looks like a curb bumper.

I know what looks aggressive to me, that’s tyres that have no chicken strips and are ruffled and bobbly on the edges….…. 

…. irrelevant of their size, oh and slicks/wets.

ET looks good with the stubbier rear end (y) 

3 hours ago, vizman said:

Funny, coz it looks like a lot of used parts….

…..triumphs rocket III run a sillyphatt 17 inch front tyre, but it doesn’t look aggressive, it just looks like a curb bumper.

I know what looks aggressive to me, that’s tyres that have no chicken strips and are ruffled and bobbly on the edges….…. 

…. irrelevant of their size, oh and slicks/wets.

ET looks good with the stubbier rear end (y) 

Well, obviously the frame, front end, rear swingarm, motor, tank, side panes, wheels, and rear tail section section are all used, I meant the internals of everything.

Plus, all of those parts I just mentioned were either rebuilt or will be along with being powder coated and new paint down the road to look new.

I went down to the shop today and took another look at everything and I think the chain line is going to screw me - as the chain as it sits now is barely off of the edge of the rear tire.

5mm more and I'll have rubbing issues, so............I think my idea is already done.

2 hours ago, TonyGee said:

some of us have no choice but to use second hand parts for our projects !!!!!  :(

Friend, I meant no offense and I'm not made out of money, trust me.

I remember times in my life where I was pulling up to gas stations with quarter rolls to pay for gas, and eating dry cereal for weeks.....xD

I literally started out with just a frame and then parts came as available paychecks did, it took a year to pay for & rebuild the motor alone.

I've spent a ton of money (but over and extended period of time) 

All I meant with my comment is that this is my dream bike project, and I decided at the very start that nothing would be done half-ass, regardless of how long it took or how much it costs.

I've seen projects in here where people have spent in excess of $50.000 and at the end everybody is congratulating them.

I've seen projects in here that took a weekend to finish and their just as awesome.

Thanks for the tips on the tires....

• Like 1

The Pirelli  180/60 is basically 190 width. It was developed originally for supersport 600  bike 5.5" rims but with the contact patch of a 190.

Be warned though. With your engine and wheel combination the chain will run the side wall slightly. Never caused me an issue though.

5 hours ago, dupersunc said:

The Pirelli  180/60 is basically 190 width. It was developed originally for supersport 600  bike 5.5" rims but with the contact patch of a 190.

Be warned though. With your engine and wheel combination the chain will run the side wall slightly. Never caused me an issue though.

You're absolutely right, that's why I'm always posting questions in here, you guys are the experts.

I think I'm going to have chain/tire rubbing issues with anything wider than a 180.

The more I think about it, I think I'm just being greedy about this.

The rear tire on the original wheel in this frame was a 4.0 (very thin)

15 hours ago, Neveragain55 said:

That's probably why a lot of the chatter I see online says that the Dunlops are my best bet because they fit the 5.5 rim correctly without the pinching.

No it just means that generally speaking tyre sizes in real life can turn out different. I wouldn't assume any kind of fitment guaranteed for this kind of project just by going by the data you could find online

Judging by the description of your project I was expecting a few more outstanding parts/setups. ^_^

But still it will be a nice bike when completed

I know what you mean when you say "i want what i thought out" and bikes are tricky, 10mm in some areas of a build make all the difference, but regarding your tyre project i think it is not worth the extra headaches involved, you've got a lot to deal with already