59 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Whilst in the pub avoiding football and talking bollox as usual, someone said that my frame would have been Chrome or nickle plated?? looks right, but how fekin expensive is that?? or do I do it white again:)

IpKYs1H.jpg

efIJZb6.jpg

@Markz9who do Wasp use to plate their Rickman frames? 

Q - How expensive is chrome plating? A - very, especially if you want it done to a high standard and triple plated, i.e. copper, nickle and then chrome. If my memory serves me correctly, Martin used to nickle plate their frames. Plating new parts is much cheaper than plating old bits as everything has to be mirror polished first. And then there may be old plating underneath to remove first so be warned :).

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dezza said:

Q - How expensive is chrome plating? A - very, especially if you want it done to a high standard and triple plated, i.e. copper, nickle and then chrome. If my memory serves me correctly, Martin used to nickle plate their frames. Plating new parts is much cheaper than plating old bits as everything has to be mirror polished first. And then there may be old plating underneath to remove first so be warned :).

All very true. I think the the Martins were just straight Nickel plated. Chrome plating  is a big no no on stressed parts like frames as it causes a process called hydrogen embrittlement which is as bad as it sounds. Nickel plating suffers the same but to a much lesser extent.

• Like 1
On 6/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, fatblokeonbandit said:

So after a bit of an expedition up north, i have acquired some of  JB's Moto Martin.:D

I dont think ill call it Martin, Ill call it Brian:)

Anyway long term project this one, good starting point, and the R1 suspenders from the 7/11 I was doing, mostly fit.:tu

the back wheel slotted in and the front just needs new sterring head taper rollers...

The Frame is 62mm I/D, slingy stem needs 25mm top and 30 mm bottom, but luckily 25/62/17.3 mm and 30/62/17.3 mm are readily available, all be it a bit pricyO.o

f7zPZ7f.jpg

LuMKG5h.jpg

Always liked Moto-Martin’s… I remember decades ago (early 1980’s) when I lived in Newbury I was out & about one evening.. to the south of Newbury & on the then A34 (way before the bypass was built) is the Carnarvon Arms PH… early evening, and outside were parked three immaculate ‘bikes… a Bimota (SB4?), a Harris Magnum & a Moto-Martin… a stunning line-up!! 

Thought at the time that it might have been a magazine out for a bimble… too young & whatever to go into the pub & ask!! O.o

16 hours ago, Fazz711 said:

I think chrome may also crack on a frame due to flex. 

Think this is why Harris, moto Martin and rickman used nicol as it tolerates flex

Nope. It's because of the hydrogen embrittlement issues mentioned earlier. 

Chrome plating is banned in motorsport because of this.

6 hours ago, dupersunc said:

Nope. It's because of the hydrogen embrittlement issues mentioned earlier. 

Chrome plating is banned in motorsport because of this.

I wasn't disagreeing with you should have said that but it also cracks due to flex so another reason it's not suitable