Fitting shrouded oil lines

Fenty

Evening all. I bought lines and fittings to add to my gsx750f trike project, but I can't get the bastid lines into the fittings as the stainless braid opens out. I bought the correct diameter for 8an fittings and use tape wrapped around it to cut it, but when I take off the tape I cannot get the fitting to go over it with or without huge amounts of cussing and hollering. Any advice gents? 

IMG_20210606_220651.jpg

Edited by Fenty

If some tape is left on I'd be concerned it would interfere with the seal. There is a bit of a knack to get them on, which is why Earls, Goodridge etc. offer special tools to do it. I put a bit of push bike inner tube over the fitting to prevent scratching the anodising, then carefully grip in a vice at an angle just enough to prevent it from moving. Hold the bottom of the braided pipe into the bottom of the fitting then push the remaining part of the hose into the fitting a little at a time with a medium sized flat bladed screwdriver. When all the braid is in, twist and gradually push the hose firmly into the fitting. It helps to oil the inner part of the fitting first, where the hose sits, and to wear gloves so you can keep a good firm grip on the hose.

• Like 2

I wrap it tight with masking tape, and then carefully cut around it (not through it in one go) with a grinder with a 1 mm micro disk, then use a socket to hold the fitting and push n twist it on , I don't leave the tape on , hardest part is not marking the fittings . I also blow it out after to make sure there's no bits left in it.

• Like 2

If you don't want to leave tape on, buy a cheapo hose coupling things (so you can clamp two hoses together) do that up most the way, slide it up so the cut end bit of hose is in it and then put the end fitting on. By miles the easiest way I've done it

22 hours ago, Fenty said:

Thanks guys,  looks like leaving a bit of the tape on is the easiest way to go.

I've also found that there are differing ODs on the braided hose.

Chinese stuff seems to be bigger by 1-2mm compared to Brit stuff.

Been down the road of cutting/fitting many times & have a stack of oversize braided hose!

Can't remember exact difference but we're talking 16.7 to 15.4 or summat like ;) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CockneyRick said:

I've also found that there are differing ODs on the braided hose.

Chinese stuff seems to be bigger by 1-2mm compared to Brit stuff.

Been down the road of cutting/fitting many times & have a stack of oversize braided hose!

Can't remember exact difference but we're talking 16.7 to 15.4 or summat like ;) 

This is true, there is some size variation among manufacturers meaning the the tape method will not work with some hose/fitting combinations. Also, the black hose supplied by Torques is much less flexible than 'normal' hose, making the screwdriver method easiest for getting it into the fitting. That's what I have found anyway.

1 hour ago, CockneyRick said:

Black hose? Do you mean the plast coated stuff? Wouldn’t run that near downpipes!

No, the black steel braided stuff they offer can be used for the same applications as for the 'normal' stuff that has external braiding. It's not just normal braided hose covered in plastic.

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Dezza said:

No, the black steel braided stuff they offer can be used for the same applications as for the 'normal' stuff that has external braiding. It's not just normal braided hose covered in plastic.

I've always looked at it & thought a braided plastic/nylon sheath isn't gonna last 5 minutes near headers. Mebbe i'll try some then ;)