So until recently I didn’t think Busas were allowed on here but as it’s a Gen 1 it is sooo.... 

Il take you back to November 

I’ve always fancied a busa don’t know why guess it’s just another big old Suzuki so what’s not to like?

Originaly I fancied a Busa to turbo it my thoughts were I have a 400hp bike so one with 600hp would be cool :D so the hint for a nice Gen 1 busa was on this is what I bought

2001 with only 6000miles on Jap import in very good condition never seen bad weather other than a little bit of storage corrosion on the clutch case extremely clean example for only £3600 delivered to my door result!

376A3EC6-B15B-4EBA-AAA0-9CF416560D04.jpeg

A8B5634D-13D5-4F21-9C14-AD6EAA827327.jpeg

• Like 3

Now the results were surprisingly low the bike was fully stock except it’s Japanese 4-1 full system with baffle fitted , it only made 154hp!O.o 

Bit we had a base line to go from so next job baffle out results-164Hp!

we’re going the rite way (y)

so next step was obviously been a Dynojet centre I fitted a PCV now before people jump in the early ECUs are not supported by woolich so I couldn’t flash the ecu however I only want to change the fueling so the PCV does this job just fine so on we go

166Hp with spot on fueling however the stock air box is very restricted so I then fitted a Sprint P08 Air filter and cut the bottom of the air box out increasing it’s intake bye double and with a remap we hit 168Hp

• Like 5

So what next? Well the busa stock has 2 short and 2 long stacks on the air box I fitted 2 short ones replacing the 2 long ones genuine parts stock rubber nothing fancy and the results were good 170hp on the nose but more so 3 Hp gain mid range (y)

now these power figures are pretty much what any decent tuning centre will get with same mods so I’ve not done anything that hasn’t been done before I did change the silencer to a 60mm bore one from the 52mm bore it was imported with and the results..... absolutely no difference what so ever!! But if you don’t test you don’t learn 

6639CB9C-19C6-48E3-A82F-F30C410D8B63.jpeg

• Like 3

So why faff about with these mods if your going to turbo it I here you say? Well I started to look into the costs and wile I’d love to do it I’m still on with Spondon witch is far from finished  aswell as the Slingshot witch is a rolling project really always something to do to perfect I decided I couldn’t afford it so my thought then turned to drag racing the busa on a stock engine.

ive been lucky to do most motorcycle disciplines but drag racing is one I haven’t competed in and over lock down I found a new obsession with Grudge racing in America (track not street) and also XDA so a plan in my head was to put the busa on a diet set the chassis for drag racing and maybe put some gas through it but maintain a Stock engine as see what happens 

Well those that know me will tell you it always escalates....:D

• Like 2

So as a rule a drag bike needs to be nice and low and long to as much as your rules allow so first job was to change exhaust because:

1- a sidewinder allows the bike to be lower

2- if I decide to run nitrous the large bore with no baffle allowes heat to escape better ( I’m told this from some big nitrous users?)

I decided to go with the latest V&H sidewinder 

A3F0CA00-A722-43EE-A45F-E42187F34E7E.jpeg

• Like 4

Regarding the chassis bearing in mind I’m writing this as a catch up to where  I’m at currently am I ordered  a 6-8 over swingarm from Evil In America there fairly priced and light however I would of preferred a DME one (we will get to that;)) and the front end I decided to get a Brocks performance top yoke that allows the forks to cum through and use some straps to lower the length of the forks however I’m not happy the straps make the steering feel awful and once compressed the forks are effectively ridged this to me is dangerous! 

• Like 1

Getting back to suspension in the uk it doesn’t seem there’s many suspension companies that specifically build drag racing suspension not saying some wouldn’t but non that dedicate just to the cause so again I looked over seas to America and ended up using a big name in XDA of M2Shocks owned bye Marcus MCbain his name sounds like some super hero but he’s a really nice guy who builds 80% of the top guys suspension.

Hes built me his top spec rear shocker built to my waight and the wheel base that I will run obviously it’s shorter than stock lowering the bike and has full adjustment of everything but I’m also using ajustable link arms so once fitted I can fully tailor ride heights etc.

At the front Marcus fully strips the internals and modifies them so there shorter only leaving 2 inch of travel showing however unlike the straps that  this leaves 2 inch being ridged it actually works to the bottom of the stansion  so are safe and work when you come down from wheeling etc because of the cost of shipping it was cheaper for Marcus to get me some forks off American Eblag and modify them than me send mine so I’ve ended with a full set of new suspension to fit :D

• Like 2

So to follow up trying to go fast on a stock motor the busa needs to loose serious weight now for reasons we will never know the wheels in a busa are really heavy just like the slingshot so these had to go and the obvious way to loose fast weight was to go carbon so I bit the bullet and ordered some BST carbon rims and also went for the 6.25 to spread the tyre for better grip pics to follow 

• Like 3

So this blog is about we’re I’m at now remember I mentioned DME well I made the big mistake of settling for second best with the evil swingarm however me been me I could settle so I decided to empty the piggy bank and order the DME arm I originally wanted along with a bill yet clutch cover and a billet 1 inch sump so I’m currently waiting for that to land.

Along with that to loose more weight I’m removing the  brocks Top yoke and under yoke Suzuki set up and fitting a billet top yoke and titanium clip on style handlebars from Unit5 in America look them up guys makes awesome billet goodies.

also waiting on a Pro Street rear brake set up from Williford Racing again look trick and weight loss is the reason 

19AB5434-EBD1-44DC-8E1E-FA5AA68C2A9C.png

B301DA99-1ED8-43CC-B61B-01AC06F704B6.png

• Like 2