Stray Kat and spun alternator rotor

Recently acquired a non-running 1982 Katana in fair shape.  Removed the tank and carbs for cleaning, two stroke oiled the cylinders and installed a new battery.  After letting the cylinder oil set for a day I turned the motor over manually, so far so good.  Figured I try the starter and it free spun, no clatter and no crank rotation.  I remember back in the day that some of the 1000 Katanas would spin the alt. rotor on the end of the crank.  Pulled the cover and rotor off, it’s eaten up pretty bad.  I’m going to use lapping compound and get as much good contact area back as I can, then put Loctite retaining compound on the surfaces.  Any suggestions welcome.

80ABACE4-50D6-4AF5-B60B-E3718AC0DA13.jpeg

E2FEA0A6-80D0-43D6-9EB1-736A5C42D33B.jpeg

I ended up getting an efe taper fitted on my old engine when i had the crank rebuilt. But ultimately having spun the original tapper three or four times I went over   an outboard alternator kit, a lot less weight on the crank to spin.

ampeg 005.jpg

Edited by buff
  • Like 3

Talked to a friend of mine who has been in the mc repair and wrecking yard business for many years, his recommendation was after lapping the taper heat the rotor on a hot plate until it’s as hot as it will get then install to shaft and torque to spec.  This will allow the expanded rotor to cool and contract tightly to the crank taper.  Also he suggests making sure the ign timing is standard not advanced and maintaining a good proper battery that holds its charge 

Edited by cnap504

Hello again,  can anyone give me the part number for the fuel adjustment screws on this ‘82 GS1000SZ ?   I looked on an online microfiche and they are not shown, presumably because they are “non-serviceable” plugged off pieces.  I have aluminum top cv carbs (US market), measured at 34mm.  Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

Soon to be started, cleaned carbs, fuel tank, petcock, lapped rotor to taper and secured with Loctite 638, new battery and cables, oil & filter & plugs.  This one sat it a garage dormant for eight years after the alternator rotor spun.

3A5FFF7E-F2FD-4298-99B2-0FC5453FE8DB.jpeg

2137E834-69C4-4912-A45D-FB1DC4D4815A.jpeg

Edited by cnap504
  • Like 1
  • 7 months later...