GSXR 1100 Camshaft bridge clamps 1052 motor

Bobby

Hello all, say what now!? 1052 motor, I am wanting to replace the camshaft bridge clamps on my motor, does anyone know if these are the same across different oil cooled motors? and if they are still available new (cant imagine a set being cheap if so). Also ideally the 7mm threads for the cylinder head cover as I have just brought some APE head cover bolts and they are 7x1.00 thread size

best regards

bobby

You can replace them and they are interchangeable accross all oil cooled motors as far as im aware.

Not just an easy swap though. Because they are line bored you need to get the new ones to match, best to do with head off, and all the valves out. Dot them one at a time and you need to make sure the cam rotates nice and freely, if not you need to increase the clearence using very fine wet and dry wrapped round a rod just a bit smaller than cam diameter. Takes ages but can be done.

2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

And not listed as spare part. What’s up with the originals then?

Some have a bit of light scoring on them, one is worse than the rest.  one is totally scrap though, my fault, my originals have an M6 thread for the cam cover fixings and I drilled them to tap to an M7, when drilling it pulled the existing thread out making a hole underneath on the cam shaft side.. what an idiot 

Edited by Bobby
Update

so this is what I was referring to in regards to the hole I accidentally made on one of the clamps (first picture) so I continued to remove them to find another with a hole in it ( second picture) this one I have not touched so weird how this has one- can anyone shed any light on this?

7E12539A-4A64-4C44-8FA3-07F5541507F4.jpeg

838D8011-5064-46EA-9C58-19BAFE85286C.jpeg

13 hours ago, Bobby said:

Some have a bit of light scoring on them, one is worse than the rest.  one is totally scrap though, my fault, my originals have an M6 thread for the cam cover fixings and I drilled them to tap to an M7, when drilling it pulled the existing thread out making a hole underneath on the cam shaft side.. what an idiot 

Slabby motors have 7mm threaded holes for the cover bolts as standard, how come yours were 6mm???

I did what Mr bean described once many years ago, when I had a free head with no cam caps, and  a box of bits,  it took days and lots of patience, which i no longer have,  to get it right but it worked..:tu

14 hours ago, Bobby said:

7E12539A-4A64-4C44-8FA3-07F5541507F4.jpeg

Whilst it 'looks' tragic, IMO it's not that bad. Yes oil could bleed out and up past the threads but its not going to gush out and GSXR's have more excess oil pressure than they know what to do with so probably won't even notice! I suspect some one has bottomed out a bolt before and just punched the hole through! And BTW that scoring ain't that bad to prevent re-use!

10 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Slabby motors have 7mm threaded holes for the cover bolts as standard, how come yours were 6mm???

I did what Mr bean described once many years ago, when I had a free head with no cam caps, and  a box of bits,  it took days and lots of patience, which i no longer have,  to get it right but it worked..:tu

No idea on why mine are M6, even the fixings are/look OEM, mystery 

8 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Exactly the sort of thing i have been thinking today, to be honest I am just going to refit them, they were like the before wit no issues so they can go again.. pressured oil separates the 2 parts so hopefully should be ok :D