My first GS, its got issues :p

Update****

Still waiting for the carb kits soo I'm looking at the small fuel leakage i havew from the tank. looks like the fuel level sendor gasket is shot, might be leaking trough the unit itself. The sender was sending out a bad signal too, wouldn't give the right reading. Dismantled it and it looks very corroded. These parts are not avaible anywhere near here (Québec Canada), so i will try and find a gasket and give the brush and contacts a good clean, hopefully it helps a little. Wish i could still order a new unit from suzuki :p. 

DSCF8339.JPG

DSCF8336.JPG

DSCF8337.JPG

DSCF8335.JPG

DSCF8334.JPG

judging by the rust on that part ... your fuel tank probably has rust in it as well ..... it does not take much to block the small orifices in a carburator . Clean and acid etch that tank ..,, tank liner treatment for starters . remove all the rust off that sender . Disassemble the carbs completely .... remove all the mixture screws and tiny o-rings ..... thoughrouly clean the bodies ( ultrasonicly) or if you can’t do that ..... a good quality carb cleaner ( wurth ) in a spray can .... compressor with a good air blower to clear the passageways . that bike has stock pipes so no need for dumb pods .... keep the airbox .... put the proper stock jets back in .... needles in stock position etc etc ... install your new carb kit and use a fuel filter before the carb inlet ( clear one so you can see the crap )  . new plugs ..... dump that fuel fouled oil .... new filter and oil .....the rest is shal we say..... facile a faire calise !  

2 minutes ago, no class said:

judging by the rust on that part ... your fuel tank probably has rust in it as well ..... it does not take much to block the small orifices in a carburator . Clean and acid etch that tank ..,, tank liner treatment for starters . remove all the rust off that sender . Disassemble the carbs completely .... remove all the mixture screws and tiny o-rings ..... thoughrouly clean the bodies ( ultrasonicly) or if you can’t do that ..... a good quality carb cleaner ( wurth ) in a spray can .... compressor with a good air blower to clear the passageways . that bike has stock pipes so no need for dumb pods .... keep the airbox .... put the proper stock jets back in .... needles in stock position etc etc ... install your new carb kit and use a fuel filter before the carb inlet ( clear one so you can see the crap )  . new plugs ..... dump that fuel fouled oil .... new filter and oil .....the rest is shal we say..... facile a faire calise !  

Tank was cleaned and coated by P.O. and looks OK to me.  The fuel petcock filter are in good condition, looks like the P.O put a new petcock. He also installed a inline clear fuel filter. But uppon closer inspection, thanks to you, I just realized that its a FAKE filter... what the hell. dont cheap out filter folks! hahahaha made of video of the filter in question. Thanks for the input bud! as mentinoned previously i did everything you are recommending, but the jets looks like they might have been tempered with, just waiting on parts from fortnine to rebuild the carbs with correct jet size and new gasket as the old ones are shot. Looks like the P.o troughtly cleaned the carbs but i will be double checking all passage ways again before putting them on for the 7th time :p

DSCF8343.JPG

as it turns out i didn't check the carbs well enough, choke needle passage ways are clear, but all 4 passages for the choke in the float bowls are 100% clogged. I tried carb cleaner, compressed air, even needles and jet brushes. Can't get the damm passages open! any trick i could try? thanks!  

-Also does anyone have a part number for the choke plunger seal? one of them is wrecked. 

-Also looking for plugs for the pilot jets, mine still look functional but are starting to dry up a little.

DSCF8348.JPG

DSCF8347.JPG

On 4/18/2021 at 7:41 AM, BushcrafterQC said:

Update****

Still waiting for the carb kits soo I'm looking at the small fuel leakage i havew from the tank. looks like the fuel level sendor gasket is shot, might be leaking trough the unit itself. The sender was sending out a bad signal too, wouldn't give the right reading. Dismantled it and it looks very corroded. These parts are not avaible anywhere near here (Québec Canada), so i will try and find a gasket and give the brush and contacts a good clean, hopefully it helps a little. Wish i could still order a new unit from suzuki :p. 

DSCF8339.JPG

DSCF8336.JPG

DSCF8337.JPG

DSCF8335.JPG

DSCF8334.JPG

In need of parts try OldMotorcycleShop web site, located in Calgary,  internet sellers for vintage bikes.

*Update*

I got the carb rebuild kits. Got everything back together and doubled check everything was good, floats etc... The choke circuit was unclogged after sitting 3 days in acetone. 1 day didn't cut it. 

fuel level sender Fuel leak has been repaired, very happy about this. i used a little Permatex grey fuel resistant sealant on it. 

new plugs in. The bike started up really well with the choke fully engaged. revs up to 3-4k with the choke on. Warmed up, it wont hold its idle very well and dies out or surges sometime. I went for a small 2 min road test and it ran better then it ever has for the first 2 minutes, then, once warm, it lost all power and I barely made it back, died out on me in the driveway. I checked for vaccum leaks with carb cleaner, didn't find any. I got the carbs synced but they werent that much out of sync. no difference. 

Plugs 1 & 4 are fouled, 2&3 have a nice white/slighty brown tint. 

I'm starting to think maybe theres something wrong with the ignition... because 1 & 4 are run off the same coil. I will look up what i can check about this system. I have a spare coil i might try out. All secondary and primary coils show the same resistance. Maybe cdi is faulty? 

Assuming std coils then age takes its toll - not unusual for coils to start to fail once they get warm / hot. Swap out for a known good coil first. Ign. boxes a) won't be common, b) unlikely to be cheap and c) will be the same age as yours that might have failed so how long may it live? Swapping to an aftermarket ign. may be the cheapest / more reliable solution.

PS - old bikes with faults are cheap for a reason LOL!

YES! ITS FIXED and runs like a dream. Man is this bike smooth. i'm used to 650 thumpers and this feels really nice! 

It was the ignition coil after all.

Put a new bar and mirrors on it. The P.O. was going for a cafe racer look, but I prefer this stance and actually seing whats behind me.

Thanks yall for the help!

DSCF8361.JPG

DSCF8362.JPG

• Like 4
  • 5 weeks later...