First post, be gentle with me.....

Frame and swingarm are stock

Rims are 1987 GSXR 1100, they allow wider tyres for better grip (in terms of looks, the Katana was at some point fitted with similar rims)

Fork and front calipers are SRAD 600, with 320mm discs xD (stops pretty well, yep) i thought it was important to not fit USD forks

I made a mix of mudguards, half SRAD, half GSXR 1100, so that the radius of the mudguard followed the 18 inch tyre

Overall it has really sharpened up the ride, it's a nice bike

299603354_Kat3(1).thumb.jpg.f60cef95cc05d463ef20163cfb7a698d.jpg

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, SuzukiMad said:

Tony, what did you have to do to what looks like an OEM swinging arm to get a Bandit 600 (i'm guessing here) rear wheel in? Do you make the spacers? What about measuring to aline the sprocket to the gearbox? I know as standard you can get a 130/90 in and at a push a 140/80 but any bigger rubs the arm. 

Coming towards more modern sized tyres would bring costs and types of tyre down thats for sure. 

I'm also guessing that its keeping the steering centre spindle and having the bottom yoke pressed off and a upside down one pushed on instead. Do the steering stoppers have to come off the frame or can they stay?

GSXR front end.......ummmmm.....I'I have a nose on Eblag.  

the swinger is a 1200 bandit arm, i had to use a reducer spacer to fit it as the ET has a 14mm spindle and the bandit has a 20mm spindle. the wheel is also B12 as i wanted the fat tyre look but a 600 wheel would be a bit easier to fit for chain alignment. i had to fit an offset front sprocket to get the chain to line up.  the forks are gsxr1100 and getting very hard to find in good nick, if you do find some they are NOT cheap !!!!!!   it all sounds easy but it takes a bit of work to get it all together.  

The suzuki parts bin provides many factory friendly looking parts

Most important thing when doing "modifications" on a bike is to pen down exactly what you're aiming for BEFORE starting anything. 

And to stick to it. 

Time spent ahead planning the exact result, is time AND money saved later on.

I would definitely keep that swingarm, period aftermarket add ons are always fitting on an "old" bike

As for forks and keeping an oem look which I did, consider RaceTech emulators.

I'm incredibly fortunate to have  a mechanic nearby who has a long history on the WorldSBK circuit who gives free advice when supplied with doughnuts. When I was looking into a front end fork swap finding the appropriate forks was a challenge he said the Racetech emulators were top notch equivalent of many fork upgrades only USD forks being clearly better. The emulators were a vast improvement over the oem performance and eliminated the anti-dive feature at the same time. Improved handling, oem appearance.

So oil cooler help please.....

Two photo's of the oil filter housing and the aftermarket oil cooler pipework which does look rather new to me. 

I've been told an EFE housing has a diverter to be able to use an oil cooler where my model engine doesnt. The only way to know is to look at the filter housing when its removed. 

Is this correct? 

If the bike is using an early ET housing and an oil cooler how much damage can you do to the lump? 

Can somebody advise me please. 

Cheers. 

93EE6E9B-9510-4CBF-9DC6-0742CF16A4FA.jpeg

ECD8E494-FCC4-4508-8940-E43F51E46D83.jpeg

As an aside I chatted to the local Suzuki garage as I was picking up a couple of missing parts of the bike to make a rolling chassis. I took the JMC arm in and they very quickly gave me a number of a local frame and swinging arm manufacturer local to me to help modify the rear axle and set the JMC arm up. 

So......brain thinking and its not often it does this.............. if I measured my RF900 wheel and sprocket housing against the 1100 standard the only real issues is spacing for the chain as the rear brake only needs to line up spacer wise from the wheel to the brake holder. With smaller spacers its possible an RF900/B12 Mk1 rear wheel would go it the JMC as its built for a 17inch wheel...... 

Or am I totally off beam here?    

4 hours ago, slayer61 said:

SuzukiMad,

Below is the picture I "borrowed" from The Flying Banana. He has a site dedicated to putting a cooler on a GSx that didn't originally have one. Very informative.

EFE%20vs%20std%2002.jpg

Cheers Slayer for the post. Now I know what I am looking for when I pull the filter housing.

Edited by SuzukiMad
  • 2 weeks later...

Bike is off to the menders as I cant weld! They are fitting a replacement stub for the gear change lever to fit to as the PO CUT it off.  

Then its playing with the 1990's Motad Neta from a GSX750ESD to see if that will fit the headers. I'm hoping it will but think it wont. Does anybody have an guidance or know if it will go in? 

My budget doesn't allow me a custom exhaust. I will keep my eyes out for a period exhaust that will fit this build. I know I haven't posted enough yet so hopefully in time I might be lucky on the for sale and wanted page later..... 

At the moment I'm thinking keeping the JMC and possibly going with a Bandit 1200 front end as I have one here. (No yokes just forks.) Thoughts. Is it an improvement or I really need a GSXR1100 front end?  

I have also chatted to a local guy who makes aluminium frames and swinging arms. He knows the JMC arm and understands my issues with it. He's kindly offered to sort it and to space it out to what ever wheels I want. I just have to bring the original spacers and wheel I want to use and he can set it up for me. As I have a spare set of RF900 wheels/tyres here I wonder..........Can I keep the original rear brake or do I have to swap it for a later RF900 one? Sorry guy's I'm using what I have here than spending loads of cash. 

Thoughts......

5 hours ago, SuzukiMad said:

Bike is off to the menders as I cant weld! They are fitting a replacement stub for the gear change lever to fit to as the PO CUT it off.  

Then its playing with the 1990's Motad Neta from a GSX750ESD to see if that will fit the headers. I'm hoping it will but think it wont. Does anybody have an guidance or know if it will go in? 

My budget doesn't allow me a custom exhaust. I will keep my eyes out for a period exhaust that will fit this build. I know I haven't posted enough yet so hopefully in time I might be lucky on the for sale and wanted page later..... 

At the moment I'm thinking keeping the JMC and possibly going with a Bandit 1200 front end as I have one here. (No yokes just forks.) Thoughts. Is it an improvement or I really need a GSXR1100 front end?  

I have also chatted to a local guy who makes aluminium frames and swinging arms. He knows the JMC arm and understands my issues with it. He's kindly offered to sort it and to space it out to what ever wheels I want. I just have to bring the original spacers and wheel I want to use and he can set it up for me. As I have a spare set of RF900 wheels/tyres here I wonder..........Can I keep the original rear brake or do I have to swap it for a later RF900 one? Sorry guy's I'm using what I have here than spending loads of cash. 

Thoughts......

OEM headers that I have hanging in my garage weigh 35lbs, they were replaced by 4-2-1 headers weighing in at 10lbs with muffler for $749 cdn.  Unless someone has an oem system laying about and donates them to you for free it's worthwhile to spend the cash and get a new system. I'm okay to sell my oems but shipping a large 35lb box from Canada could be pricey. I love my Hindle's but losing the centre stand is a compromise some people don't care for, for me it was another 3lbs lost.

https://www.ripplerockracers.com/product/suzuki-gs11001150-hindle-stainless-steel-exhaust-systems-to-fit-1980-85/

Edited by RGSX

OEM is definately OUT with this restore but thanks for the offer. 

This is one of the only options I can find for exhausts new here in the UK. 

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/gsx_1100_esd/83/picture/marving_master_4_1_complete_system_chrome

Would prefer to find a period so 1990's exhaust that would work with it. I mean the bike is a 1990's time capsule with the JMC and Micron fork brace. Something will come up thats for sure.

The link for Ripple Rock Race worked out at $1075 without shipping hence the UK supplied Marving maybe a lot cheaper option.  

Forks wise, as I have bandit stuff here plus RF stuff I could use that. Not sure about an RF front end but then they all look the same to me. It would be nice to have a good feel front end though. Guess thats where the GSXR11 front end comes in once again. 

35 minutes ago, SuzukiMad said:

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/gsx_1100_esd/83/picture/marving_master_4_1_complete_system_chrome

Would prefer to find a period so 1990's exhaust that would work with it. I mean the bike is a 1990's time capsule with the JMC and Micron fork brace. Something will come up thats for sure.

The link for Ripple Rock Race worked out at $1075 without shipping hence the UK supplied Marving maybe a lot cheaper option.  

Forks wise, as I have bandit stuff here plus RF stuff I could use that. Not sure about an RF front end but then they all look the same to me. It would be nice to have a good feel front end though. Guess thats where the GSXR11 front end comes in once again. 

Did you choose the Cerakote finish for the Hindles?  Cerakote was an extra $300, the SS finish was $749.

On 4/27/2021 at 2:11 AM, SuzukiMad said:

I was looking at those Hindle headers, but then I found a stainless Supertrap system for sale that had been used on a race bike back in the 80's and then hung in the shop for decades. Super lightweight. period stuff is out there, you just got to be lucky enough to find it before somebody else does.

If you want to keep it looking standard, I'd use the rf900 top yoke on the forks as with it having clip on's as standard it will match the standard look more than having conventional bars. Or sell the b12 and rf9 stuff then buy b6 and rf6 stuff no messing with swing arm to put the 160 tyre in, you keep the narrow tyre look you like.

Delkevic do a standard looking end can for there down pipes as will.

I am curious to know who the local frame and swingarm manufacturers are as recommended by your bike dealer. Also, GSXR1100K RWU forks look similar to Blandit 12 jobs but have 'adjustable damping', although this is crude to say the least and they may be shorter than the B12 items. For pipes you could try Dave at Exhaust Craft in Whitehaven: his GSX stainless downpipes and collector are ace.

Frame and swinging arm guy I was suggested to try is this guy:-

Lee 

Steel Hart Engineering

Unit 27

Chislet Business Park,

Canterbury

Kent

CT 3 4BY

01227 711234

My Mk2 Bandit has adjustable forks like the RF and are about 30mm longer. How much longer are the GSXr1100 forks? 

Now I like the idea of B6 parts to run smaller looking tyres than big fat ones...... 

Frame now has its gear change on so thats a good start. 

Cheers for all the ideas guys. I can now see what people were saying about only buy one. Could have bought 3 bikes buy now and still swapping bits around. 

Taking it I can find a set of GSXR1100 forks and use the JMC would a set of B6 wheels work? Just a questions of spacing?  If I cant find a set of GSXR1100 forks whats the next best option that would be standard looking? 

But them I am guessing they have to be shorter with the 17inch front wheel against a standard 19inch thats in the bike. 

Putting a B6 wheel in the rear there's no need to change the rear shock lengths so keep to the standard 330mm twins