First post, be gentle with me.....

Hi All.

I'm SuzukiMad and I like to buy and restore old bikes...... 

I recently, like 2 weeks ago bought my original old GSX1100ESD back. She's seen some life and a few alterations along the way. 

For me it's a nightmare. I like my bikes stock original as per the parts manual and if its altered the first thing I do is take it off. Well if I do that with this there would be half the bike in the workshop and the other half outside in the bin. 

I have never customised a bike I've owned other than putting an after market exhaust on in my life. 

I know the ESD wasn't fitted with an oil cooler so I want that off but am told that the oil filter housing will be have been swapped for another to make the oil bypass. You cant buy the original nuts that blank the pipes off so the coolers got to stay. 

The PO has removed all the Suzuki bolts and fitted stainless steel ones! My Suzuki bolt OCD is working overload here. I mean its £200 just to replace the ones you can see on an engine! 

So to my questions. Can you guys help me please. I have no idea whats going to fit and work but make it look OK. 

First up, I need to sort out an exhaust. I have two headers. One is a 4 into 1 that joins right below the oil drain and wont allow you to change oil without dropping the exhaust each time. The other is a Motad Neta off a GSX750ESD (what I've been told) and I don't know if it will fit. What down pipes will fit to give me a modern day can from say a GSF1200/RF900 and access to the oil drain and filter housing to do oil and filter changes. 

2nd up. It has a JMC swinging arm on and a fork brace. I have to have a centre stand for parking so the arm has to go. Anyone know what sort of money a JMC arm is worth? Secondly the ESD had a boxed section aluminium swinging arm. It looks very much like a GSX1100ET version from 1980/1981. Does anyone know if they fit. At about £150 its an expensive test if it doesn't go in.    

I'm not afraid of spannering just I don't have the knowledge. 

Cheers

S.M.

8390FEE6-04EE-421B-8B22-92E4D85C3B3B.jpeg

Edited by SuzukiMad
Wrong photo use.

This is my more usual ride. Air/oil cooled GSF1200K2. I'm wondering if that oil cooler will go in better than the one thats been put in. Anyone tried it on a GSX motor? 

My other rides are RF900RS2 but I wont offend the air cooled with a couple of water cooled bike photos. But trust me they are almost bog standard. I allow the cut down rear mudguard and stuck on rear reflectors as getting a full mudguard with the reflector low down is hi on impossible. So I do make small allowances. But what I am asking is beyond what I know by far. 

Cheers.  

Edited by SuzukiMad
Not allowed.

Welcome.

Have you read the rules yet? Stock B12 pics are a bigger offence here than RF900's.

And we don't really do stock/original here. Read some project topics, have a look in the forced induction section, and soon you'll also be adding boost and installing modern forks/wheels. You can thank me later. :D

Edited by Captain Chaos
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Welcome.

Have you read the rules yet? Stock B12 pics are a bigger offence here than RF900's.

And we don't really do stock/original here. Read some project topics, have a look in the forced induction section, and soon you'll also be adding boost and installing modern forks/wheels. You can thank me later. :D

Well that told me. 

Thanks. 

As for your question about headers: I use a BOS system on one of my Katanas. Bought it off a 1st generation B12, for which it was meant to be. Just a 2nd set of header gaskets and it is a nice fit. Collector is just enough at the right hand side to have the oil drain plug in reach.

Screenshot_20210404-205158.jpg

On 4/4/2021 at 12:57 PM, Pedda said:

As for your question about headers: I use a BOS system on one of my Katanas. Bought it off a 1st generation B12, for which it was meant to be. Just a 2nd set of header gaskets and it is a nice fit. Collector is just enough at the right hand side to have the oil drain plug in reach.

Screenshot_20210404-205158.jpg

will an oem '84 GS1150efe 4x2 exhaust fit a GS1100esd, I'd think they'd be very close

Edited by RGSX
On 4/3/2021 at 3:48 AM, Captain Chaos said:

don't get me wrong, there are people on here who like stock original bikes. And they will answer your questions.

But in general we like to modify the f@ck out off our bikes.

I don't see the point of spending cash to restore a $2-3K bike to original oem level for it only be worth $3k when I'm done. But we don't all have the same objectives.

13 hours ago, RGSX said:

I don't see the point of spending cash to restore a $2-3K bike to original oem level for it only be worth $3k when I'm done. But we don't all have the same objectives.

Some people do restore to OEM original for the passion of doing it not for financial reasons but then there's nowt so queir as folk lol

Cheers Old Skoolers for the welcome. 

As I said I have always gone stock on my bikes so this one is a bit different. This bike is too far gone for me to do that with so I'm going to have to customize it but to a taste that I can live with and I don't know I have.  Its going to be a struggle for me thats for sure.  

I've seen older bikes with BIG tyred 17 inch modern wheels and I don't like the look. I mean the RF900 front wheel is bigger than the back on the bike. Shoving some upside downs on and a brake upgrade seems interesting....... Front master cylinder is shot, parts or after market parts aren't available as it was such an odd ball bike so I will have to find an alternative. Somebody suggested B12 brake and B6 clutch so I had matching levers but modern. So what else might look OEM original but be a later upgrade? 

Thanks for the offer of the EFE exhausts but I'I pass on them. 

I like the idea of a Mk 1 bandit/BOS headers.  Any other options other than custom pipes? 

I've managed to get an OEM GSX1100ET swinging arm. I how have a rolling chassis and the JMC swinging arm can get sorted of its issues. Then I can decide if I keep it or let it go.  

I may not go as far as you guy's but I am hoping you might understand where I am coming from even if I cant explain it very well of where I want to end up.

Yep, a fully OEM GSX1100ESD will probably fetch £2,000 if you are lucky. Most want the 1074cc engine and thats it. 

I guess I am trying to create something that is a 1983 bike thats lived its life and had period upgrades along the way. Showing its scars of life and whats been altered but kept it alive. I have the OEM nut and bolt fully restored on and I never ride it. I want to ride this one.   

some of the old school Suzuki's look well with more modern parts fitted, but its not just about the look, my ET with the bandit wheels and gsxr forks makes it handle and grip better and also stop better.  im using 22 years old parts so they arnt really that modern !!!!!   I'd like to think if they made the ET today it would look something like this..... 

20210405_191142.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TonyGee said:

some of the old school Suzuki's look well with more modern parts fitted, but its not just about the look, my ET with the bandit wheels and gsxr forks makes it handle and grip better and also stop better.  im using 22 years old parts so they arnt really that modern !!!!!   I'd like to think if they made the ET today it would look something like this..... 

20210405_191142.jpg

Thanks Tony. You can see the old bike but also see its been upgraded. I'm guessing thats the sort of thing I want to do but keep it looking like the old bike on the outside. 

Edited by SuzukiMad

Tony, what did you have to do to what looks like an OEM swinging arm to get a Bandit 600 (i'm guessing here) rear wheel in? Do you make the spacers? What about measuring to aline the sprocket to the gearbox? I know as standard you can get a 130/90 in and at a push a 140/80 but any bigger rubs the arm. 

Coming towards more modern sized tyres would bring costs and types of tyre down thats for sure. 

I'm also guessing that its keeping the steering centre spindle and having the bottom yoke pressed off and a upside down one pushed on instead. Do the steering stoppers have to come off the frame or can they stay?

GSXR front end.......ummmmm.....I'I have a nose on Eblag.  

2 hours ago, SuzukiMad said:

Tony, what did you have to do to what looks like an OEM swinging arm to get a Bandit 600 (i'm guessing here) rear wheel in? Do you make the spacers? What about measuring to aline the sprocket to the gearbox? I know as standard you can get a 130/90 in and at a push a 140/80 but any bigger rubs the arm. 

Coming towards more modern sized tyres would bring costs and types of tyre down thats for sure. 

I'm also guessing that its keeping the steering centre spindle and having the bottom yoke pressed off and a upside down one pushed on instead. Do the steering stoppers have to come off the frame or can they stay?

GSXR front end.......ummmmm.....I'I have a nose on Eblag.  

Doesn't look like an ET swingarm. 

Looks possibley bandit with twin shock mounts welded on. 

You can with some thought, heavily modify a bike without straying far from a factory feel. I attempted this with my Katana, basically it has nothing left original on it apart from the bodywork but i don't think it shows that much in terms of feel, despite it looking more stylish :

13618221.jpg

You should be able to refresh yours without going too far in the build and have a conservative result

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Joseph said:

You can with some thought, heavily modify a bike without straying far from a factory feel. I attempted this with my Katana, basically it has nothing left original on it apart from the bodywork but i don't feel it shows that much in terms of feel :

13618221.jpg

Now thats what I'm talking about. Looks stock, looks original but its not. Subtle but altered. Nice! What front end, what back end? Tell me more.