GS750 project

Great website and group....   thank you, I'm learning loads already.

I picked up a '77 GS750B in pretty good condition a couple of weeks ago and for the right money. Except for a typically hideous Motad exhaust its all original, so could be made 100% straight again, but I'm planning to convert to a soft cafe racer mode, including:

2005/6 ZX6R front end - including conversion stem from Cognito Moto - great quality and arrived super quick. 17" ZX6R wheel for 120 section tyre 

Engine - Keeping stock other than planned top end strip and rebuild over winter. Have fitted Delkevic 4 into 1 but might shorten it to replicate old school Laser pipe that ends just beyond footage as I remember?

Carbs - Were gunked up with 40 year old tank crud.  Now stripped and rebuilt with repair kit. Hopefully will sort out No.3 firing issues.  I'm considering K&N pods bit will probably stick with original airbox/ jetting. 

Ignition - Will convert to Dyna S rom current points set up. 

Rear end - have twin shock GSX1100 swingarm to fit, planning to take 17" ER6 wheel and 160 section tyre. I'm thinking I'm going to have to tackle each conversion issue at a time, including offset sprocket/chain spec, etc. 

Loads of things I know I need to know....   including:

- Will the GSX1100 swingarm fit with standard bearings or will bespoke bushes also be required? 

- Using USD forks, what would be the recommended shock absorber length be? (I'd like to raise the back end up a bit anyway but not at the loss of functional handling)

- Any experiences of fitting a modern Kwak wheel to an older Suzuki 

- Is the GS750 as bad to jet up for pods as every discussion forum suggests?

All ideas and suggestions welcomed, thank you. 

Edited by Waster
Syntax
  • Like 1

Welcome to OSS,

Have a good look through the project pages, there is that much information there and meany gs750 projects.

Ps you could start your own project thread ;) and we like lots of pictures :D

Can't help with your swing arm question but someone will be a long to answer the question.

Any ideas gratefully received - as usual my enthusiasm completely overpowers my engineering ability....  hell, maybe I should just send send the whole thing away and it get done professionally - wouldn't give any real satisfaction that way though! xD

Unless you are building it for racing from cafe to cafe....

..make me wonder what scrutinisers check for in cafe racer series..

exhaust wrap-check

brown egay seat-check

poorly set up carbs and cheap filters-check

not saying mo’sickles with exhaust wrap and such can’t look kool and be a fine running handling machine.

• Like 1

just my opinion... but why dont youm keep the 77 you have and put it back to standard if it is in pretty good condition... you could always pick up a different bike for small money and  cafe racer it.....its getting harder to find nice original early gs750 s......and i think they look great and go great....but what ever u decide have fun

• Like 1