530 chain conversion

RGSX

I've been searching the web for 2hours searching info on chain conversion for my 84 1150efe from the oem 630  to a 530.  I'm finding conflicting options and products. I'm sure this anything new to this forum if want to share your experience it would be helpful.

I did find a 18T front sprocket with a 5/8" offset at www.suzukiperformancespares.co.uk  . From what I've read   17t or 18t seem to be the  most common choice.

What is the equivalent 630 rear sprocket tooth count for a 530 rear sprocket?

Chain length?

I came across a website that recommended the EK MVYZ chain, is it a good choice?

if your using your stock wheels you do not need an offset front sprocket

17t   48   works real good for me with stock swingarm     would go 18t   51  with other swingarms

51 tooth rear is hard to get here in steel  jt has not been making them for a while now guess 50 would be ok

if your in england biketorqueracing has them      front conversion on Eblag  and a bunch of others also

jt makes a front sproket that will work but am dammed if i remember what it is off of sorry

• Like 1

Also from memory the Gearing commander (or whatever its called) gearing website has calculations of what length chain you need with different combinations of sprockets. I used it when I went 530 on my TLR.  You can also buy and fit your sprockets and then just measure what length chain you need and then convert it to the number of links to be 100% sure.

• Like 1

Gear Commander is great tool for sprocket calculation. Except for one oversight,  it seems to list every bike Suzuki ever made... except the 84-86 GS1150/1100efe. xD

Maybe I can still make it work if I dig a little deeper for technical info.

7 hours ago, no class said:

just use the 83 gs1100 

I'll give that a try with Gear Commander and see what I can come up. Sprocket of 17 or 18T seems to be common choices up front, for the rear anything from 43 to 50. Chain length is still a mystery.

No listings for the efe seems to be more common than I expected,  I've come across a number of other web sites which also have a gap for 84-86 efe.

I did find a UK website has a complete  conversion kit but shipping costs were horrendous($100 CDN). I'll need to piece something together from N American suppliers.

Yep, 17 or 18 on front is good choice to get proper sprocket diameter. And with 17T front 48T on rear results the stock ratio. For chain length you can measure your current distance between the sprocket centers and then use the Gearing Commander to see how many links you need to achieve that. I guess 112-114 should be close.

I don't remember part numbers any more but finding suitable 530 sprockets should be pretty easy. If I recall correctly oil cooler sprockets work on front. Can't recall for sure since it has been a while since I have used non-offset ones :D

• Like 1
4 hours ago, no class said:

As Arttu stated....very close to stock ratio of .357 (15/42) 630 to .354 (17/48) 530 .  just buy a good quality chain with 120 links and remove the excess ....I highly doubt the few extra links will cause your financial situation to crash :D

Of coars,e it was the risk of buying something a couple links too short that was a worry.  Maybe It could be returned if I kept clean but shipping down time would likely be month.

Then comes the choice of acceleration vs fuel economy, naturally I want both at the same timexD.

I've added about 20hp and shed 40-50lbs of dry weight so bumping up the front sprocket one tooth to 18 won't cost me any significant acceleration. That should result in better range at highway cruising speeds and nearly idle through 30kph school zones in 3rd.

18-48  or 18-43 would seem to be the best fit for my needs at this time. Knowing the speed limits of the main roads vary from 110- 130kph I'm leaning toward 18-43. What I can source quickly may influence the final decision.

Now the pain of dealing with suppliers that won't supply a listing of 530 sprockets,  only offering the oem 630s as the only option for the efe. xD

It would help if there was away to confirm what other models/years of 530, 525 or 520 would fit on the efe.

Edited by RGSX
3 hours ago, RGSX said:

Now the pain of dealing with suppliers that won't supply a listing of 530 sprockets,  only offering the oem 630s as the only option for the efe. xD

It would help if there was away to confirm what other models/years of 530, 525 or 520 would fit on the efe.

According to PBI, a reputable sprocket mfgr...

https://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=465

There's a bunch

ETA we call it the GS1150 on this side of the pond.

Edited by slayer61
  • Like 1

And on this side of the pond there is a difference between Canadian and US models and identification. It's all a real pain in the arse when you need spares, regardless how many models share the same part it's risky ordering a spare if you don't have 100% confidence it's going to fit.

It took a number of hours but I finally sourced the appropriate parts 18t front and 43T rear sprocket from Dime City Cycle in the USA and a 120 link Regina chain from FortNine in Canada. I never would've guessed it would be so time consuming.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to share their knowledge.