Efe cylinder head and camshaft damage

M4N4

id be looking at the strainer in the sump and the oil pump before i spend a bean on it. that cam has suffered cos of a lubrication failure, cams can be built up and reground, but the head may be beyond repair. ive heard of them being machined and fitted with shells but its an expensive process. before going anywhere i think you need to identify what caused it and what else might be damaged.

• Like 1

LOL - some wear ! ! !  Anything can be reclaimed whether it is economical is another matter. That cam journal would require metal spraying and re grinding - cost probably 2 or 3x the cost of a good s/hand one, head could be shelled out, I believe Z900 bearings are used but never seen it done and the cost ??? against a good s/hand one. But unless its a trick of the light the ex. valves look like they've been kissing the piston as well ! So they could be bent and / or you've a big end that's going allowing excessive float. All looks spendy!

Any info on the history of the engine from the previous owner? This may give you a clue as to what failed and why, and what will be needed to get the engine back together again. (Say to yourself now: "I am not going to replace the engine with a Blandit 12 lump" and then repeat.....).

Thanks for everyones input!

History of the bike is farely unknown. Last owner (around 55 year old man) bought the bike from Germany somewhere in the early 2000’s. He drove it as a daily ride until he put in to barn around 10 years ago. He said that he drove it to the barn. It was a real mess outyside and I predicted it would be the same inside the motor as well.

Well when I bought it last fall, I cleaned the carbs, bought new coils and put new gasoline to get it running. I think it ran with 3 cylinders only. When  I dismantled the head, nr. 3 cylinder was ”wet”. I think it didn’t fire...

I looked at the valves and think they haven’t touched pistons. It’s only a trick of light.

This is my first engine overhaul so help is appreciated :) 

If I’d buy a second hand head and  for exampple SPS JR3 cams, can I be using valves etc. From my old head given that they are ok?

Thanks for all!

-Mikko