Brake calipers upgrade

Alex

Hello all. I have a mk1 b12 it has a gsxr750 k1 front end and gsxr1000 k1 calipers someone has put on. Is there a caliper upgrade for these forks, reason I ask is that I’ve read reports that some prefer to put 4 pots on over the 6 pots. Should I go back to k1 750 calipers or is there a good aftermarket caliper? All options are welcome. Thanks Alex.

The old 6 pots you got on some b12 and some later 90's gsxr models are not the best, they work but not the best. The Nissan 4 pots are better.

I've got a set of 6 pots off a gsxr1000k1-k2 with a radial master cylinder on my gs1000 and I like them they work very well, lots of feel and stop the bike well 

I think, if I remember correctly the earlier 6 pots are different to the latter gsxr1000 6 pots.

• Like 1

I have these forks on one of my bikes and use Brembo 4 pots (4 pad) from an Aprilia Mille (Ducati 999/749 are the same). These require custom brackets/spacers but are probably one of the best 'freely' available axial calipers, although 'freely available' has changed over the last few years as word on these has spread. Unfortunately you can't get a pair for 60 quid anymore (more like 200-300). The 2 pad 4 pot Brembos are more common and cheaper and will likely perform better than OEM GSXR units. Saying that when I bought my forks they came with the 750 4 pot calipers and I sold them to someone who wanted them as an upgrade for a GSXR 1000!

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Hello all. I have a mk1 b12 it has a gsxr750 k1 front end and gsxr1000 k1 calipers someone has put on. Is there a caliper upgrade for these forks, reason I ask is that I’ve read reports that some prefer to put 4 pots on over the 6 pots. Should I go back to k1 750 calipers or is there a good aftermarket caliper? All options are welcome. Thanks Alex.

The K1 6 pots are way better than the earlier 6 pots and work well.

The K1 4 pots are just as good and do still need a bit less maint and are easier to bleed.

Braided hoses and some good quality sticky compound pads will work really well.

Swapping to a radial master from any newer bike is a good upgrade, not really any better stopping power, but gives better feel.

Thing to remember is they are just Pistons in a hole, doesmt matter who makes them, they all do the same thing. Most of the "better performance" from a caliper upgrade is placebo effect, if you have just spent a shit load of money on some fancy brakes your going to convince yourself they are better irrelevant of if they are or not. You can bet your life that if say Brembo caliper piston size gave better performance, all the other manufacturers would make there pistons the same size too.

Edited by MeanBean49
1 hour ago, Alex said:

These are the calipers I have. I believe they are k1 1000 each caliper has 4 large and 2 small pistons. I am running 19x20 magura radial and braided lines. 

02242220-7B47-48FE-AB01-041567381603.jpeg

Yeah k1 gsxr 1000, also on gsx 1400 iirc, should be plenty good enough with that master, and looks like galfer discs. SBS performance pads are really good