GSX1100G Rear Shocks - what else will fit?

gandy666

Hi there,

thanks for letting me join your page.

the rear shock on my 1992 Suzuki  GSX1100G has finally given up the ghost. The price new on some websites for a suzuki part is coming in at over a thousand pounds. Does any one else know what will fit and keep the stance of the bike correct?

I've done some research and there a lot of conflicting opinions about using a 1990+ GSXR1100, or a 2000+ GSXR1000 shock. The latter changes the stance of the bike and my understanding is its very hard, 3cm longer than the 300mm of the original shock, the spring hits the frame and the altered rake of the bike  can make it quite dangerous to handle as the it dives on the already ready weak front shocks, though I have progressive springs and more dense fork oil.

Will a 1990+ bandit shock fit, and does it matter whether its off a 600 or a 1200+. or can I go for same era GSXR1100 shock? or anything else for that matter? I had my eye on a GSXR-1000 L2 to L6 but wasn't sure it was right as it was the wrong era.

thanks in advance.

Andy

I can't answer specifically but shock swapping between models is a dark art unless the shock and linkage set-ups are 'broadly' similar! Subject to the shock mountings being correct, i'd lean towards a GSXR11M/N shock or maybe a Bindit12. The Hippo has the extra shaft drive mass to control so a shock from a modern lighter sportbike or a 'Budget build' Bindit 600 will unlikely satisfy IMO. Alternative is new aftermarket - places like 'Hagon' will build a shock to your requirements if you ask and aren't wildly expensive compared to OEM!

• 5 months later...

I replaced my original shock with a Works Performance and what a difference!!  And they are back in business , I heard,  A bit of labor to put on but fun.  Have the Kayaba rebuilt!!  Alot of the specialty shops can rebuild them and if you talk to to Kayaba Corp , they probably have the seal kits still available.  If not, go to your friendly seal/bearing shop and match them up!!  Mine was like a pogo stick!!   The best of all the Jap 1100' shafties............I've had them all except the V65 which I wouldn't be able to service nearly as easily..............don't throw the old shock away!!

5 hours ago, sirhogslayer said:

Possibly an old school Katana 750/1100 rear shock.  Go to Babbits or any other Jap parts/bike dealer and look up the part numbers for these bikes and see if they are the same.......

Old skool kat where twin shock apart from the pop up headlight one ;) unless you're talking about the tea pot gsx which is NOT a Katana (y)

• Like 1