Quickshifter

Has anyone successfully fitted and quickshifter to an oilcooled carbed motor. It's something I'm considering for my trackbike but can't find much info on the net apart from "Yeah, I fitted one and it works really good man" and " I made one for $5 from my sidestand switch"

I'm talking proper reliable quickshifter with no glitches shifting at flat stick

Think people are getting confused with what a quickshifter and an air shifter do.

You can have both.

Air shifter is just replacing your foot doing the change. You still need a way of killing the ignition for it to work. They tend to have a primitive ignition kill switch wired in.

A quick shifter does not affect gear selection, it controls the ignition system when a gear selection is made, to allow it to happen with no clutch and no throttle back off.

Track riding I would only really want a,quickshifter

Drag racing i would have an ir shifter with a quickshifter

• Like 2
12 hours ago, george 1100 said:

On a drag bike I'd go for the push button but at the track I think it all get a bit confusing for me. 

I've heard a lot of good things about Ignitech but can't find a detailed write up, pic or an action vid 

The Ignitech stuff is really good, especially for the money. You cna get a programeable ignition with quickshifter for less than any other quickshifter on the market.

I've run them on 3 bikes now, and they are great, as good as all but the very best quickshifters out there. I run mine at 50ms kill time.

You've got Liam Venter at FastBikeGear in Auckland (yeah, I know, but he's closer than Europe) who's really knowledgeable on and stocks Ignitech stuff.  Be worth dropping him a line

• Like 3

You can put a quick shifter on almost anything, I have installed one on my 250 2 stroke amongst overs, the module will just cut the ignition to take the load off the gearbox to allow for the next gear to be selected. pretty much universal even carburettor bikes with old style HT coils ignition systems it will work just the same as EFI bikes with ECU'S . You could fit one to an C90 if you wish. haha 

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, george 1100 said:

I had read a few stories years ago the it wasn't possible to use quickshifters on carbed engines because of severe popping or backfiring. Never looked back into it since,  because I just took it for granted:$

I believe the cause was cutting the power to the ignition and not the coils. Some ignitions take a time to 're-sync' so can fire cylinders that are open inlet at the time - old skool turbo's were good for it - a reason a lot are fitted with plenum straps to the head! If the ignition is powered and coils killed, it stays sync'd and coils aren't charged so no spark . . . . . at least that how I stopped mine doing it!

Really, the length of kill for a quickshift is really short - shorter than a airshifter which is 60-70msecs IMO. Adjusted correctly so kill occurs the moment the lever starts preloading the shift drum, i'd guess 30-40msecs is all thats needed to unload the transmission? Or buy an autobox with no shift kill at all LOL!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I believe the cause was cutting the power to the ignition and not the coils. Some ignitions take a time to 're-sync' so can fire cylinders that are open inlet at the time - old skool turbo's were good for it - a reason a lot are fitted with plenum straps to the head! If the ignition is powered and coils killed, it stays sync'd and coils aren't charged so no spark . . . . . at least that how I stopped mine doing it!

Really, the length of kill for a quickshift is really short - shorter than a airshifter which is 60-70msecs IMO. Adjusted correctly so kill occurs the moment the lever starts preloading the shift drum, i'd guess 30-40msecs is all thats needed to unload the transmission? Or buy an autobox with no shift kill at all LOL!

An average/generic kill time for quick shifters are .65 seconds, this can normally be adjusted to suit your riding style. The quickshifter that I have on my 250 shortens the kill time as the RPM's increase. GP2 guys have been using these on carb 2 strokes for years now.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, dupersunc said:

I run my 1100 motors at 50m/s, its smooth as silk. 40m/s  is too short and harsh.

60m/s is ok, 70m/s it gets jerky.

A decent q/s isn't a straight kill, it should feed the spark back in over 10-15m/s

Have you had a play with the delay time too mate? 

Going to put one on my slingy I think, good to have a setting to start with

4 hours ago, george 1100 said:

Not sure how it could work on a slabby as the oem rear sets and lever have a very short shift rod

I used to try and have triggers on the actual shift shaft lever, both Q/S or airshift to eliminate as much 'slop' as possible. Getting creative with brackets can achieve a decent mount allowing an std. footrest / lever arrangements to be retained. I've never tried the 'load sensing' rods but heard they are good.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:54 PM, dupersunc said:

The Ignitech stuff is really good, especially for the money. You cna get a programeable ignition with quickshifter for less than any other quickshifter on the market.

I've run them on 3 bikes now, and they are great, as good as all but the very best quickshifters out there. I run mine at 50ms kill time.

You've got Liam Venter at FastBikeGear in Auckland (yeah, I know, but he's closer than Europe) who's really knowledgeable on and stocks Ignitech stuff.  Be worth dropping him a line

I am building two bikes with Ignitech ignition now. Could you give some advice regarding wiring the quickshifter and brand of quickshifter? I have buildt several modern race bikes using HM quickshifter. I also have a R1 -17 race bike with Quickshifter and blipper.

20 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I am building two bikes with Ignitech ignition now. Could you give some advice regarding wiring the quickshifter and brand of quickshifter? I have buildt several modern race bikes using HM quickshifter. I also have a R1 -17 race bike with Quickshifter and blipper.

Ignitech do their own quickshifter triggers and rods. Not actually fitted mine yet but looks easy enough.

4 hours ago, MeanBean49 said:

Have you had a play with the delay time too mate? 

Going to put one on my slingy I think, good to have a setting to start with

40 m/s delay works fine, not played with it. A mate was have issues with accidentally activating the kill, set it to 40m/s like mine and it's been fine.

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I use the Ignitech load sensing switch, it's about £65 Euro.  Works fine.  Using the load sensing type of trigger is the only way to go.

It's easy to wire, though a bit gets lost in Ignitechs CZ to English translation.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, dupersunc said:

40 m/s delay works fine, not played with it. A mate was have issues with accidentally activating the kill, set it to 40m/s like mine and it's been fine.

I use the Ignitech load sensing switch, it's about £65 Euro.  Works fine.  Using the load sensing type of trigger is the only way to go.

It's easy to wire, though a bit gets lost in Ignitechs CZ to English translation.

Is the cut time the same for all gears?

32 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Is the cut time the same for all gears?

Yes, there's no facility to change it for each  gear.

I've done lot of work with ignition cuts for gear shifting on far more sophisticated set-ups, andyou don't vary the shift time that much from gear to gear. Biggest gains are in getting it right for the higher gears.  With the settings I run all the shots are pretty smooth and seemless.

I love my quickshifter. :)

• Like 2