B12 with dot head; what filters and main jets?

Hi all, i'm new here and here's my first topic. I'm building an '83 GSX1100 with B12 running gear, so basically it's just the '83 frame (or what's left of it) with '00 stuff. The plan is to switch to a dot head with the B12 cams for low down grunt, and use a 4 degree ignition advancer. So now I've just cleaned up the carbs and the plan is to run them with single pods. Carbs are 38mm and they are slightly oval where the pods come. Which pods should I look at and what diameter? And which jet size should I start with?

thanks

Welcome to OSS.

Just finished doing the same thing with a ET.

Best filters I'd say would be K&N go for the twin type ie two filters for four carbs think you want 58mm? But someone will be along to say for sure.

Jets, all depends on zorst, and what jets you're using, if Dyna jets start with around 144-150 you will also need the have the pilot jets set at about 3-3.5 turns out.

Start a build thread in the projects page with lots of pictures as we all like pics on here (y)

2 hours ago, Zweistein said:

thanks. what's the reason to go for twin type filters instead of four single filters?

CV carbs like airboxes / plenums that provide a 'still air' environment. The dual pods provide a degree of this - individual pods don't. Many have tried singles then found duals work better! Can't explain why, but that's the general experience.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

CV carbs like airboxes / plenums that provide a 'still air' environment. The dual pods provide a degree of this - individual pods don't. Many have tried singles then found duals work better! Can't explain why, but that's the general experience.

pixy magic ;) 

• Like 1