Anti-dive Blockoff Plates

There are several ways that don't require plates. When I looked into the cost of the plate kits it was was pricey for what you were getting. I applied that cost towards Race Tech Emulators their install eliminates the anti-dive feature and supplies much improved suspension and you can keep the oldskool look of the anti dive units. I've seen a few bikes with the block off plates but imo the anti-dive units look better.

IMG_2642.thumb.jpg.93d9f562ed785f0cc2f7a4582fb356d1.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, slayer61 said:

Why was I of the opinion that the plates needed a channel from hole-to-hole to allow the oil to pass? I think mine were like that...

That's true.

There are several methods to disable the anti-dive discussed on the GSresources forum https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?257845-Block-off-plate-for-anti-dive&highlight=disable+anti-dive

Block off plates, block the feed line, gut the anti-dive unit, RaceTech emulators. The 1st Block off plates, probably the least attractive looking and most expensive for what you get,plus more unsprung weight. The 2nd and 3rd very inexpensive, you keep the look , unsprung weight stays the same.  The 4th, the gold valve emulators combined with racetech springs really upgrade the suspension performance by several decades. If you have a drill press you could install them yourself.

Edited by RGSX
1 hour ago, Joseph said:

alloy plate cut to shape and drilled, gasket paper and put the antidives back on ? Shouldn't be harder than that

I suspect anyone looking for the block off plates doesn't have the means to make any for themselves. Adding block off plates to the anti-dive units is preserving the look but is adding unsprung weight.

Edited by RGSX

A quick calculation based on 2 mil thick aluminium plate weighs in at a whopping 20 grams for 2 block off plates

I'll sit back and wait for someone to tell me that would be noticeable on a barge weight of a bike on crappy everyday roads.

LoL

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Joseph said:

A quick calculation based on 2 mil thick aluminium plate weighs in at a whopping 20 grams for 2 block off plates

I'll sit back and wait for someone to tell me that would be noticeable on a barge weight of a bike on crappy everyday roads.

LoL

I did wonder this myself !

18 hours ago, RGSX said:

I suspect anyone looking for the block off plates doesn't have the means to make any for themselves. Adding block off plates to the anti-dive units is preserving the look but is adding unsprung weight.

If someone can't use a junior hacksaw, a file and a drill, they shouldn't be modifying motorcycles ! ! ! 

16 hours ago, Joseph said:

LoL

ÂĴÂĴUnsprung weight is mass in motion, it has momentum and kinetic energy. A change in motion (going up and down) results in a change of momentum and requires a force applied over a period of time. The effects of unsprung motion are amplified as is the weight by a factor of 6, every gm lost matters they add up it's why manufacturers of performance bikes and aftermarket performance parts pay attention to shaving off grams everywhere, it's cumulative. Lighter caliper, sprockets, tires, titanium bolts all shave off grams, it's why forks were inverted.

Reducing usprung weight matters keeping wheels in contact with those crappy roads.

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I did wonder this myself !

If someone can't use a junior hacksaw, a file and a drill, they shouldn't be modifying motorcycles ! ! ! 

Some people have only the most basic tools, some don't even have a shed to store their tools or to do their work in, they do what they can with what they have.

No one knows how to modify a motorcycle until they begin with their first one, that includes you and I.

• Like 3

Granted, but still won't make an ounce of difference on a 240 kilo bike.

Its like saying you can feel the acceleration capacities of your bike increase as the weight of the fuel in the tank decreases, because it's making the bike lighter.

It takes a lot of work and even more money to reach tangible improvement in the weight loss department on a vehicle.

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 2

Unsprung weight is different and more critical than sprung weight in performance of the bike. I could lose 30lbs of personal weight and it would help in acceleration but keeping the tires in contact with the road and changes in direction is more dependant on reducing unsprung weight. Lighter wheels, sprockets, lighter rotors, chain,  20 grams x 6 here and there add up. The technician that does the critical work on my bikes has spent time as a Crew Chief on the WorldSBK circuit  says the correct priority for performance modification  is to "Look after the suspension first, it needs to turn."

Reducing weight can be as expensive adding hp and torque but the cumulative effects of weight saved can remarkably change how the bike handles. How fast you can go in a straight line doesn't matter much if it can't turn safely on a rough surface.

23 hours ago, RGSX said:

Some people have only the most basic tools, some don't even have a shed to store their tools or to do their work in, they do what they can with what they have.

Thats a fairly lame excuse IMO !  Tools no more complicated than I listed and excluding the drill probably cost a £5 ! And you don't 'need' a shed or storage facility - if you work on / service your bike a tool box kept under the stairs or in the car boot isn't unknown - hell I carried my entire tool collection around in a toolbox behind the seat of my Mini for years!  If you plan on fixing things, then you have to plan on breaking / making things beforehand - or is that a life skill that is disappearing since these bikes were 'new'?

• 1 year later...

old thread resurrected, I did an experiment on my old GSXR1100 forks, took the anti dive off and made 2 blanking plates out of ally ( using a hacksaw a file and a drill ) :D  with no channel to link the 2 oil holes in the blanking plate the forks just lock up solid,  so you MUST link the 2 holes in the bottom of the forks. :tu  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Pudzrx said:

I'm assuming the forks need to be removed to carry out any procedures when removing the anti dive units as the oil would just come out when you took them off ?

yes the oil will piss, but if you lay the forks flat then you can remove the unit, you could get a re-build kit from Suzuki once but they are no longer available :(  unless theirs an aftermarket kit out their O.o  

• 1 year later...

An interesting thread with some interesting thoughts, I just thought about the fact that not all of the front tyres available for the bike would weigh the same from different manufacturers and having the wheel balanced could see 20g added in weights. Also consider as the tyre wears it becomes lighter. I guess in World SBK they are at the law of diminishing returns and are at the edge of weight saving anyway, within class regs and as has been pointed out, the big old GSX is a bit of a barge to start with and is hardly a razor sharp track tool, just thinking.