Gear Indicator for engines that didn't have that feature stock

Hi Gang,

So I did a search and found a few threads in here about installing aftermarket, electronic gear indicators (and I know that the 89 GSXR1100 engines didn't have that feature) but I didn't specifically see anything where somebody installed one on the generation of bikes that didn't come with one from the factory.

I was hoping one of you savvy cats that has a "work-a-round" for everything would know if it's possible.

I'll answer the first question now........(why do I want one)......... 

Because all my other bikes that I've ever ridden had them and I'm spoiled.

I'd just really rather have one than not if I can help it.

As usual any & all comments are welcome.

I have a B12 engine in the EFE. Swapped the neutral switch for an 1100 EZ/ED gear position switch, connected it to the EFE clocks and it worked. It needed rearranging the pins in the plug and it showed gears correctly (shift drum rotates the other way round on oilcooled lumps).

So your 1100K engine will also accept the gear position switch and indicator from an aircooled model.

That's all using stock Suzuki parts. I have no experience with aftermarket stuff.

• Like 4

The gear indicators from aircooled clocks can be removed as a unit so one may be obtainable cheaply from an otherwise knackered set of clocks. I have one waiting to go on my aircooled bike from a smashed set of EFE clocks but I haven't got round to fitting in over the last 12 years.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Dezza said:

The gear indicators from aircooled clocks can be removed as a unit so one may be obtainable cheaply from an otherwise knackered set of clocks. I have one waiting to go on my aircooled bike from a smashed set of EFE clocks but I haven't got round to fitting in over the last 12 years.

you can't rush these things dezza  ;)

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Tell me more ! I have a gear indicator that's not right .

2 hours ago, Rsk_141 said:

Tell me more ! I have a gear indicator that's not right .

What model clocks are they? I only have experience with EFE clocks, which are easy to split and once this is done the gear indicator is held in, I think, with 2 self tapping screws. The wiring is seperate from the rest of the clocks and it just lifts out. The wiring block connects directly to the wiring block from the black, circular plastic thingy that incorporates the neutral switch. My guess is all GSX1100 or similar gear indicators are interchangable but I do not know this for certain.

10 hours ago, Dezza said:

What model clocks are they? I only have experience with EFE clocks, which are easy to split and once this is done the gear indicator is held in, I think, with 2 self tapping screws. The wiring is seperate from the rest of the clocks and it just lifts out. The wiring block connects directly to the wiring block from the black, circular plastic thingy that incorporates the neutral switch. My guess is all GSX1100 or similar gear indicators are interchangable but I do not know this for certain.

It a gs 550 I have with  the block number not the 1-6 .

So a efe uses the same gear indicator?

Lights

Dunno. I would try and obtain Suzuki gear indicators from similar year models on the cheap if possible and try. What do you mean by 'block number' and the '1-6.' I can't remember how many wires these things use and the readout is 0 (neutral) to 5 on the one's I have seen.

Some of the gs850 with a gear indicator have 1st to 6th gear lights even though the GS didn't have a 6th gear, don't know if the part on the engine is the same size as the 550 but I think (If I remember correctly) they are smaller than the oil cooled motors.

Also the gsx 750es has gears 1 to 6 on the clock part.

Ps have you tried finding the engine side of the gear indicator for a gsx1100efe or ez etc hen's teeth.

Edited by wraith
Add a bit
  • Like 2