Finding the manufacturers bike build date.

Steveg

Hi,

I have a GS1000ST that I purchased back in 1981/2 in Dubai. I brought the bike back to the UK in 1985 where it was subsequently registered as a 1982 manufactured machine and registered with a 1984 plate 'X'. There is normally a data plate on the frames headstock with all the codes including dates etc but this one is missing. All I have are the 6 digit frame and Engine numbers.

Does anyone keep a register or have any idea where I can get the actual date of manufacture of the bike from? I am not sure if Suzuki would be bothered looking this one up, but you never know. The numbers are:

Frame GS1000 - 534663

Engine GS1000 - 152035

I believe the bike would have been manufactured about 1980/81, but unable to confirm this.

Thanks

Steve

Hi TonyGee,

Thanks for your reply, you are correct, I have searched the internet and come up with some numbers for the GS1000 series and indeed, T is 1980. When I imported the bike, it was given a X plate which would mean the bike was 81/82 but this was incorrect. Something I had not been too concerned with at the time.

However, the bike is not correctly dated by the DVLA and we all know that these machines were not manufactured beyond 1981/82, T being the last GS 1000 models which date to around 1980.

I have contacted Suzuki and they have responded with a try again later email as they are not able to do anything with respect to dating until the end of March.  I note that the log book also validates it as a V model. This would be a completely different model.

The following file from the internet puts the T series as 1980. See attached numbers for GS1000ST. I just need to convince DVLA that it should have a T validation, not a V.page3.thumb.gif.e5730d3d3053ab00457b0bd4371c8f52.gif 

Cheers for the response, I will wait and see what Suzuki say, I might get the day it was actually made.

Steve

• 1 month later...

got mine sorted today, went to our local P.O. but the lass didn't know what to do so she phoned the head office. the prick on the phone said i couldn't do it till next year !!!!  my bike is 41 years and 3 days since it was resisted.  so went to the main P.O. and it was done in less than 90 seconds ;) i said to the woman can i go home now and tax it ? she said no ive already done it O.o  bikes all legal now :banana: