B12 engine new 3rd gear rattle

Jdeac

Hi all. Been out for a blast today. And the motor/gearbox has developed a rattle in third gear.

On power cant really hear it. But steady in third and deceleration you can hear it. 

Chain tension good, outputshaft bearing good.

What could be the cause of this?? And should I be concerned riding it.

1 hour ago, Jdeac said:

Just been flicking through the manual on my lunch break. And looking at what needs to be done. 

Are there any specific tools I'm going to need. Clutch tool I know but anything else.

Cheers

no not really, you dont need to take the starter clutch of but if you do you would need a special tool. just a clutch holding tool but be carful when refitting the clutch, make sure ALL the gears are engaged as they easily break if not !!!!!  theirs a hidden bolt inside the genny hole.  

Thanks for the tips guys. I shall probably pull the motor out on the weekend. Just do small bits in the evening after work until its ready to drop. 

Pulled the exhaust of tonight and the sump for a little look. I know there is loads I cant see.

But anyone see anything? The small lever part on the end of the selector drum has some material on it.

20210301_173852.jpg

20210301_173900.jpg

20210301_173935.jpg

Screenshot_20210301-200621_Gallery.jpg

I get what your saying. 

And the parts are magnetic so steel. 

As above I'm just going to pull it apart slowly. I've never done anything like this before. So took a couple of pics. To see if there was anything that stood out.

After the sump was off I found a piece of metal about 2 ish mm long. Fresh metal one side and black in colour the other.

I'll probably put the motor in out of my project build for now so at least I will have a bike to ride. Then this one will (hopefully) get built for the project

you can get cheap clutch tools on the bay. i wonder if a bearing has let go ? years ago i had a noise on my gsxr1100 so when i stripped the bottom end i found the output shaft inner needle roller bearing had collapsed and the outer roller bearing outer race had cracked in 2 places, just held together by the cases !!!!!!!  it also fecked the inner bearing surface on the shaft. luckily i was working for a Suzuki dealer at the time so got my bits cheaper. ;)  i blame too many wheelies :|

Edited by TonyGee