magnum 2, gsxr 1340 build

baldrick

hello, 

im back again for a rebuild of my harris magnum 2. i had it built up, er....quite .a few years ago, but wasnt really happy with it, so stripped it down.

it started with an efe engine in it, and progressed to gsxr power (that should upset the purists, but not as much as it upset me selling the old efe engines for peanuts, to one Dave Beck, drag racer)

it used the time to paint it in a lairy metalflake lowrider theme, and stuffed all the bits in the loft for a few years, as you do.

Later i decided to get the frame re coated, but before i did i  got a friend to modify the frame for yet another seat unit (cbr1000rr one). he bronze brazed on new framework to the original, and replaced the crossmember tube which held the bottom linkage of the swingarm, with a thicker one, as the original wasnt thick enough and was starting to bend .

got it all powder coated, not all that well, cos i spent days tapping out the holes that the lazy arseholes didnt plug.

new tyres, brakes rebuilt and a few other jibs jobbed. 

engine is a gsxr 1340, TTS built motor, which will be running 36 or 38mm carbs, as my keihin fcrs wont fit between the tubes . it needs checked and painted. it was pumping out 174 BHP on TTS dyno, back in the day so should be plenty for this lightweight frame to hustle along. 

akra pipe and a few other nice bits, i would like a different front end and rear shock but am skinto, so it can wait , i  must get it  built.

so anyway it sat like this until decided it was time to build. first step, get the old head bearing out and replaced.

strike 1, ovalised the headstock, so its off to get sorted at machinists on Monday, but i will be back, oh yes.

heres my collection of bits and what it looked like a wee while ago in various guises

cheers

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

harr3.jpg

harry1.jpg

harry2.jpg

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

As an update, ive got the frame back from the engineering place,they where  machined out the bearing housing, after it shrunk. bearing shell now fits, so i will be getting front end on it next week (have son for holidays this week, and hes been helping with my gsxr build. it is almost done, just the cam cover to paint, gsxr shock to fit and rearrange electrics to suit it. hes handy for reaching the awkward front cam cover bolt

i was checking out the single sider for the harris and the bearings are as crusty as baldricks pants, so new ones needed. its a weird set up, with a needle roller bearing in one side and 2 caged bearings in the other, another 55 quid ker ching.

IMG_7194.JPG

IMG_7335.JPG

IMG_7310.JPG

Edited by baldrick
  • Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

right, well, as usual, progress has been about as fast as a semi retired tectonic plate...

but ive not been a completely lazy bastard. 

i removed the old bearings in the swingarm, well, i removed the 2 normal bearings, the needle roller was stuck fast. 

the new set of punches just slid off the rollers, great work Hongay, with providing punch cut outs that arent deep enough to catch the edge of the bearing , yet another reason to hate Hondas. i got a set of these mofos off the bay of e.

that got them out, well it didnt but it did when i heated the alloy to near melting point haha. still its out now, and the new bearings are in the freezer. 

i also got some stuff for vapour blasting locally, im off to see the boy tomorrow, with this lot,. slabby fairing frame is for another project.

i started paint removal on the cam cover but the paint stripper had turned to gel, and wasnt very effective, so fuggitt of to vapour you go. 

once i get the rolling chasis together things should hopefully move a bit quicker. .....................................he says...

3.JPG

4.JPG

1.JPG

• Like 1

haha, aye you're right there, ive also got my efe/gsxrs'and a kat to finish/start.

i started efe/gsxr about 15 year ago......did well, then it all ground to a halt. its had most of the work done too....

arghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

stuff went off for vapour blasting. 1100m cam cover, 2 gsxr mudguard support brackets, set of footpegs and levers, 2 sets clip ons, pair of nissin 4 pot calipers and slabby fairing frame= 14 items, 90 quid, bargain, i would say... 

ive seen the lads work on fb, it looks mint.

pickup next weekend.

Edited by baldrick
12 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Aye! Stick in, loon! Lack of interest's a killer. Look what happened to mine! o.O

20190815_201427.thumb.jpg.73304d7672af1f91026ec5b159ff68e9.jpg

20190820_141255.thumb.jpg.06b8414e896a4191239ac6ebad490c28.jpgTakes a while after one has been stripped for resale. This one now has a EFE motor hanging in the wings. Should start a thread on it really 9_9

• Like 4

Yes do that, start a thread, plenty of interest.

todays sage advice- dont put bearings in (the wrong side of the swingarm) after a heavy night on the glenlivit 18 year old and cider.....while continually wondering why its so tight, but hammering on regardless..................doh....result= 1 fuct bearing with the outer shell stuck fast in the swingarm recess....i should have my tools taken away from me really...........

• Like 4

aye i know, but most of us just keep quiet about these things haha.

echhttt, ive decided the swingarm needs to be black to match the frame so, after putting it all together not even a month agao, its in bits again. will drop it off at weekend.

1.JPG

• Like 1

vapour blasting dude just sent these pics.

This guy is really good, his prices are really reasonable, and he is conscientious, unlike lots of chancing f*ckers in the bike industry who promise they can do a job and let you down, or take weeks to deliver. Jon Rix at vapour blast solutions in Aberdeen, get my seal of approval. Steel parts are away for primer (included in price) 

you want to have seen how scabby and manky these bits were on the "before" pics.

i want a vapour blaster now...

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

• Like 1

swinger off to the machinists to get remnants of hardened steel bearing shell machined out, somehow, hopefully. 

tried to remove the bearing with slide hammer/bearing puller, but just succeeded in pulling the centre of the bearing and needles out, leaving the outer shell, fuckity fuck.

So tried outer bearing shell with  slide hammer with blind bearing removal end, but because the shell is hard to the internal stop there was nothing for it to grip too. TRied loads of heat, tightening slide hammer attachment to F tight but nope it was sliding along the hardened steel inside surface. Bah!!

So an expensive drink fuelled fuck up on my part...

gonna be a minimum of 2 weeks because they are flat out busy. hes talking about using an end mill to try machine the hardened steel shell  thin enough to pop it from the opposite side.

lets hope its possible.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, baldrick said:

swinger off to the machinists to get remnants of hardened steel bearing shell machined out, somehow, hopefully. 

tried to remove the bearing with slide hammer/bearing puller, but just succeeded in pulling the centre of the bearing and needles out, leaving the outer shell, fuckity fuck.

So tried outer bearing shell with  slide hammer with blind bearing removal end, but because the shell is hard to the internal stop there was nothing for it to grip too. TRied loads of heat, tightening slide hammer attachment to F tight but nope it was sliding along the hardened steel inside surface. Bah!!

gonna be a minimum of 2 weeks because they are flat out busy. hes talking about using an end mill to try machine the hardened steel shell  thin enough to pop it from the opposite side.

lets hope its possible.

Oops 

Yeah, that's what i should have done, im sure itwill be another expensive mistake.

I dug the old motor out today, its been stuck in the far corner of the garage for years.

i had to lift it over my TL1000 to get it out. Not sure if i have found some more strength as i get older but it wasnt as heavy as i remembered.  Anyway its at the garage door and will get a wash with thinners before getting some hycote engine enamel gloss black spray.

i painted it before i put it away so its not seen any oil etc, but the paint i used the last time was utter shit (simoniz stuff) it literally comes off when you rub it hard enough , its crap. Im hoping the Hycote stuff is better , its got promising "serious  health warning" on the side :)

i know i would be better off breaking out the compressor, and proper 2 pack paint, i might yet, if this stuff is also crap.

head has been poked by TTS previously and rubbers matched. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 1
23 hours ago, baldrick said:

lets hope its possible.

In these situations, similar to removing the outer race from a headstock, you need a MIG welder and a decent amount of skill using it! Clean the inside face of the bearing and run a continuous bead around the inside middle of the track and leave to cool somewhat. The bearing race will near enough fall out with little force. As the weld cools, it shrinks and pulls the race in so loosening its hold. Using machines and mills etc. should be last resort!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, yeah i wont recommend the paint to be honest, used the entire tin doing the cam cover, alternator and starter motor of my gsxr 1100M. it also spat out some moisture from the can along with the paint resulting in bubbles on the painted surface.

it does a job, but im going to break out the compressor for this engine. 

oh yeah, and vapour blasting....remember and tell them to block off the oilways. i had assumed he would have, but checked before putting the cover back, just as well i did. 

this little lot  which i got out of the oilways with a length of welding wire, would have royally fucked my engine in short time...............:(

2.JPG

On 5/15/2021 at 6:01 PM, baldrick said:

oh yeah, and vapour blasting....remember and tell them to block off the oilways. i had assumed he would have, but checked before putting the cover back, just as well i did. 

this little lot  which i got out of the oilways with a length of welding wire, would have royally fucked my engine in short time...............:(

I'm going to side with the blasters on this comment! They are blasters and you pay them to clean shit with abrasives - they are not necessarily engine experts so can't be expected to know what to or not block up - to inexperienced eyes, one oily hole is the same as another. If you don't want media left inside, you take every bung, bearing and plug out of every gallery and hot tank it in a pressurised cleaning tank or use soda media which dissolves with water and wash with a pressure washer or you take the responsibility to block up stuff that stays oily! Pro engine builders will strip and clean a block, machine it, clean it, dry build and adjust as req and clean again before final build.

• Like 1