'89 GSXR 1100 Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment.

Tinsnips

Good morning all.  I am working on re-assembling an '89 GSXR 1100 I purchased in boxes last fall.  I had to swap everything over to a new frame and now have it running.  I am new to the oil cooled engine.  It seems to rattle more than I expected.  Same sound and pitch as another 1100 I have heard running but a little louder.  I am wondering if the cam chain tensioner may be weak.  Section 3-33 of the manual covers testing the part but gives very little information otherwise.  Any input on this would be helpful.  I hope for good weather this weekend to pull it and inspect but wanted any tips to consider before hand.  Thanks.

the oil cooled engines are not the quietest engines around, it could be the tensioner is ready to click over to the next tooth ? their is a way of helping it though, if you take the single bolt out ( not the mounting bolts ) and insert a small screwdriver or sumat like and GENTLY push the toothed rod in it might click over but don't use excessive force or the chain will be too tight.  it might be worth getting someone who knows the engines to listen to it just to put your mind at rest.  

• Like 1
On 2/25/2021 at 11:49 AM, TonyGee said:

the oil cooled engines are not the quietest engines around, it could be the tensioner is ready to click over to the next tooth ? their is a way of helping it though, if you take the single bolt out ( not the mounting bolts ) and insert a small screwdriver or sumat like and GENTLY push the toothed rod in it might click over but don't use excessive force or the chain will be too tight.  it might be worth getting someone who knows the engines to listen to it just to put your mind at rest.  

I pulled the valve cover and the chain was pretty slack.  I could move it quite a bit (1/4”) between the cams and the idler.  I popped out the 19mm bolt and sure enough I got one click easily.  Chain is now snug but not tight.   

Thanks Brother, worked like a charm!

• Like 2

Yeah.  Much quieter.  You hear the valve train but it sounds smooth and mechanical, not loose and rattled like before.

I will check the spring length, I didn’t know there was a spec.  I think I may actually have another spring.  I have a bunch of stuff unidentified that came with the bike.  I am pretty sure I saw a spring like that in there.