Lifepo Battery

HUM

Hello

I am considering installing a Lifepo battery in my GSX 1100E, my controller is a NipponDenso 32800-45210
can I operate a lifepo abtterie with this controller, or does the controller bring too high voltage, i.e. over 14.4 volts ?
someone has experience

Cheers
Uli

IMG_2612.thumb.JPG.816ee961b53b363c5e678d2b2867c868.JPG

Basically you can use LiFePo batteries with the same regulator than normal lead acid battery. Maximum voltage is pretty much the same for both. However, LiFePo is less tolerant for both under and over voltages. Anything below 13V won't charge it at all and over voltage will destroy it faster than a lead acid battery.

And one additional note for anyone reading this: Make sure you don't mix LiFePo batteries with LiPo/LiIon batteries. Latter ones have different voltage range and they can be dangerous if charged incorrectly!

Edited by Arttu

All aircooled engines have charging systems designed sometime in the early Permian period. Even if all the components are changed and wiring renewed IMHO it's just asking for trouble using an Li battery. The oil cooled bikes have a more modern charging system so using an Li battery is probably less likely to end up in a small scale re-enactment of a scene from a low budget action movie :).

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1