Slab-side suspension bearing in knuckle not available, replacement sort.

Nelson

Help needed.

I am trying to replace the bearings in the cushion lever on my 1100 H.

However, Robinson's says that the front bearing (the one with the red arrow) is no longer available, please see picture below.

744179470_Cushionlever3.thumb.jpg.6d259370fd0927becab2e94c1491447b.jpg

My question is; is this a weird Japanese bearing or is it a standard size, easily obtainable from any good bearing supplier.

Or put it another way;

Can I smash it out & replace it with locally sourced one ?

Or

Do I have to leave it alone & just gently caress it with a well lubricated digit ?

Ps, even if it is available, 83.00 quid

Bart.jpg.a4fc4f14d40da0847914eb3b7fd21e5e.jpg

Regards Nelson

This is what came up first when i GOOGLED it.

I know GOOGLE is amazing. (Use at your own risk)

BEARING, 12X26X16

Tillverkare: Suzuki OEM Parts
Edited by Askamaskinservice
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
6 hours ago, slabsideB12Kent said:

Somebody on this site has recommended Simply bearings. I went onto the site and found this item,

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p554342/Major-Branded-GE12PB-Steel-/-Phosphor-Bronze-Spherical-Plain-Bearing-12x26x16x12mm/product_info.html

I'm concerned the dynamic load rating is too low and that a pothole could destroy it. 

Needle roller bearing will take the load better 

19 hours ago, slabsideB12Kent said:

Somebody on this site has recommended Simply bearings. I went onto the site and found this item,

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p554342/Major-Branded-GE12PB-Steel-/-Phosphor-Bronze-Spherical-Plain-Bearing-12x26x16x12mm/product_info.html

I'm concerned the dynamic load rating is too low and that a pothole could destroy it. 

Totally different application - the one you've found is suitable for moderate axial and radial loads with a degree of misalignment. As said above, it needs to be a needle roller for load capacity.

EDIT ! !  I've just checked the Fiche and that bearing IS for the dogbones so not a 'big' load carrier and mis-alignment is a possibility so the spherical bearing would work ok! Sorry for the misdirection! One thing to add is, that bearing has a oil groove and hole so if you can, drill and tap the lever for a grease nipple and it'll likely never wear out!

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 2

So today I've removed the cushion lever from the back of the bike as the spherical bearing was giving me noticeable movement at the rear axle (3mm with noticeable clunk). I have some other cushion levers bought from Eblag as they were cheap 2 x 750's and an 1100 and all the bearings have play in them.. :banana:

I've got one sat in front of me and it measures 12X26X16mm but... Specific measurements are 12mm (inside diameter) X 26 (outside diameter) X 16mm (width of the ball) but very importantly the outer race width is 13mm. The Suzuki item has a wider outer race at 13mm so the fit between the retaining clips won't be tight up to the bearing. 

Because I've taken apart four of these things today I can tell you that the distance between the retaining clips is more than 13mm with no issues from the bearing moving (i.e it hasn't).

So I'm going to go with the bearing from,

I can keep one cushion lever as a spare if this new bearing doesn't cut the mustard - I think this item does not have the correct dynamic load capacity.

• Like 1
On 6/9/2022 at 3:53 PM, slabsideB12Kent said:

So today I've removed the cushion lever from the back of the bike as the spherical bearing was giving me noticeable movement at the rear axle (3mm with noticeable clunk). I have some other cushion levers bought from Eblag as they were cheap 2 x 750's and an 1100 and all the bearings have play in them.. :banana:

I've got one sat in front of me and it measures 12X26X16mm but... Specific measurements are 12mm (inside diameter) X 26 (outside diameter) X 16mm (width of the ball) but very importantly the outer race width is 13mm. The Suzuki item has a wider outer race at 13mm so the fit between the retaining clips won't be tight up to the bearing. 

Because I've taken apart four of these things today I can tell you that the distance between the retaining clips is more than 13mm with no issues from the bearing moving (i.e it hasn't).

So I'm going to go with the bearing from,

I can keep one cushion lever as a spare if this new bearing doesn't cut the mustard - I think this item does not have the correct dynamic load capacity.

Hi SlabsideB12kent,

Sorry I never got to the conclusion of my story. 
    Same as you, I found one from a place called Henderson Bearings. It to had the worrying 12mm size. I searched around for ages to find a 13mm one & couldn’t. I to was going to shim it then noticed how baggy the original fit was & thought feck it, if the original one hadn’t moved in 35 years, this one probably wouldn’t either.
    It’s done 2 & 1/2 thousand miles so far & not fell off yet & the ride feels fecking lush. I changed all the bearings & bushes at the same time, cost a bomb but looking at them I think they were all original. To my shame, it was the first time I took the swing arm off & the ‘grease’ had turned to mud 

Here’s the place & the bearing 
    FA03BC8A-84BA-4562-9679-41DFFE546F17.thumb.jpeg.9e0da4a91900691708f9d26d4376f06e.jpeg

Here’s what’s left of the swing arm bearings & bushes. 

52292D30-D0DD-4844-897D-D4262ED40F55.thumb.jpeg.c4214dbeca67f7b19ff633b47b8e34dc.jpeg

As before, sorry for being a slack arse. 
Gixer1460  , thanks for your find, I think the grease hole bearing looks like a winner.

• Like 2