Exhaust manifold fab

rerb

The last major piece of my turbo bandit puzzle is the exhaust manifold. my turbo is a tf035, which doesn't fit the l proboost manifold. I've contacted big cc and a few others, and either got no response after a week or so or was told they couldn't make one at the moment. 

I'm pretty new to welding, and only have MIG available. would it be possible to weld up a manifold with MIG instead of TIG? making my own seems like the only option without spending $700.

Thanks.

41 minutes ago, rerb said:

The last major piece of my turbo bandit puzzle is the exhaust manifold. my turbo is a tf035, which doesn't fit the l proboost manifold. I've contacted big cc and a few others, and either got no response after a week or so or was told they couldn't make one at the moment. 

I'm pretty new to welding, and only have MIG available. would it be possible to weld up a manifold with MIG instead of TIG? making my own seems like the only option without spending $700.

Thanks.

Yes, I made these jus using a mig and angle grinder. Not the prettiest but will do the job and you get the satisfaction knowing you made them yourself. IMG_20210222_170834.thumb.jpg.b3381cc1069e57453d39eccf43d3146e.jpg

Wouldn't it be possible to cut the Proboost manifold connection off and add the correct one to suit the turbine outlet of the TF035 (not a number i'm familiar with?) All depends on the manifold material as to which process is most suitable and of course skill level! MIG is a 'ghetto' solution, TIG is more elegant with a better appearance but both will do the job! I know Sean at BigCC had most of his fabrication guys either let go or furloughed and is barely keeping the business going - I'm sure he'd welcome the work if he had staff / people to do it!

22 hours ago, clivegto said:

Yes, I made these jus using a mig and angle grinder. Not the prettiest but will do the job and you get the satisfaction knowing you made them yourself. IMG_20210222_170834.thumb.jpg.b3381cc1069e57453d39eccf43d3146e.jpg

Good to hear. how difficult was it? I'm pretty new to welding anything, and my fab skills aren't the best

22 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Wouldn't it be possible to cut the Proboost manifold connection off and add the correct one to suit the turbine outlet of the TF035 (not a number i'm familiar with?) All depends on the manifold material as to which process is most suitable and of course skill level! MIG is a 'ghetto' solution, TIG is more elegant with a better appearance but both will do the job! I know Sean at BigCC had most of his fabrication guys either let go or furloughed and is barely keeping the business going - I'm sure he'd welcome the work if he had staff / people to do it!

I'll try and send him another message to see, he told me he couldn't about a month ago 

@clivegto Ah, now I see the difference, your cold side is much bigger then mine.

7 hours ago, rerb said:

Well I did the math and buying a proboost manifold + a Chinese td05 would actually be more cost effective, so I think I'll go with that, fabricating one looks pretty difficult. Thanks guys

I would go for a 2nd hand proper brand turbo, I had a new Chinese one, wasn't that good..

Edited by Reinhoud
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 4:27 PM, rerb said:

Thanks.

Pm sent

• Like 1