New reg/rec

wraith

On 2/23/2021 at 9:49 PM, Gixer1460 said:

Not sure how the Electrex are wired but there is nothing wrong with the GS / GSX charging system 'per se' - its the daft wiring that uses a leg of the alternator output direct to the headlights - fine when you want lights on but when switched off that output is just disipated to ground with heat being the result hence the RR's failing! If you re-wire the light switch to power via fuses to battery and tie all the alternator outputs together and direct them to the battery directly, a lot of the problems should go away. Yes the outputs are never great but at least ALL the stuff generated is going to the battery and not 1/3 disappearing in heat!

Maybe that is a UK variant of alternator wiring.

The Aussie version had 2 phases going directly to the rec/reg and 1 phase going to the light switch just as a loop to be completed when the light switch was turned on, so the rec/reg only got the 3rd phase if the light switch was on.

The first thing you would do with this arrangement would locate the phase going to the light switch and bypass the phase going to the light switch and then get all 3 phases going to the rec/reg all the time

The lights have their own power supply and circuit. 

see picture.

wiring.thumb.jpg.61ae558e23ff012c7d6a93a425177eca.jpg

Gixer1460 is correct with the GS/GSX charging system been ok pre se.

I am using the original alternator and upgraded to a Shindengen SH650 (KLR650 wreckers) initally to charge my AGM/ lithium ion battery combination.

Am using the donor bandit 1250 Shindengen SH811 (cause it was bigger so I thought more capacity?!) with a bandit AGM/lithium ion combo and it keeps up with my EFI demands for every day riding for 18 months now.

Lithium on its side down the bottom

687890399_Lion.thumb.jpg.aec2a40fefc1bf8f16907f740ce8f5a8.jpg

Bandit on top 

battery.thumb.jpg.5765d909cb0e4b8700a31385bf630338.jpg

• Like 1