New reg/rec

wraith

I'll add my 2 pence

The reg/rec from yamaha R1 which is a mosfet fh0012 (also on ducatis, Triumph etc)

Cheap second hand, the connectors are available on Ali, or kojaycat, 

It fits as does the original one (same size and bolt spacing)

I fitted this to my first katana, my GSX750E and 1100, and my current 1135 kat

It supplies 14.5V stable and constant throughout the rev range

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 9

I once bought a new alternator for my GS1000, this one was supposed to have a higher output then the stock one, but can't find it anywhere anymore, no idea about the brand.

But this together with the Electrex regulator I haven't had any problems anymore.. Even with an electric fuel pump it works alright.

3 hours ago, Joseph said:

Won't solve the weak spot of the GSX engine charging system though. But it will fix the bike of course. 

It's for my GS ;) I know same sort of thing, but you have to have something to do on a 40 year old bike or they would just be boring xD

Edited by wraith

Not sure how the Electrex are wired but there is nothing wrong with the GS / GSX charging system 'per se' - its the daft wiring that uses a leg of the alternator output direct to the headlights - fine when you want lights on but when switched off that output is just disipated to ground with heat being the result hence the RR's failing! If you re-wire the light switch to power via fuses to battery and tie all the alternator outputs together and direct them to the battery directly, a lot of the problems should go away. Yes the outputs are never great but at least ALL the stuff generated is going to the battery and not 1/3 disappearing in heat!

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Oh, looks like I'm running mine with the wrong sort of battery..

Not necessarily ! It depends on the quality of the Li battery and the 'usually built-in' charging / conditioning circuitry. I don't know of any way of telling how good or how poor that will be - maybe when it explodes or catches fire you'll be able to tell 'whats what' LOL!

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 2