Hello Bandit powered GSXR silly question?

samtait87

To skip all my waffling how much Bandit 600 running gear will bolt onto an early 90's GSXR 750 frame?

Hello I'm new here and carefully read the rules about the "i know this is a silly question....but"

anyway I'm Sam from the east midlands did my full power bike test as a direct course when i was 25 then rolled around on a GS500 for a year or so even had an OSS sticker but i think it must of been around the time the old forum died, then came across a cheap local 1990 CBR600 with a few months mot after that a few life adjustments got in the way so was without a bike for a number of years, This time last year I almost bought a bandit but chickened out. My farther in law actually won the bike so i said give me first refusal when you get it on the road then covid happened so it wasn't until October last year i got the bike, The whole idea was just cheaper quicker commuting. 

So on to the silly question, Ive always wanted a GSXR the shape just after the slabby just don't have the cash for one so if i got a 750 frame and tank would Bandit 600 running gear slot it? Pretty sure the engine will but what about the forks and swing arm? Essentially just want a cheap as chips GSXR then later on as funds allow i could swap in the 750 parts and eventually the 750 lump

49773240288_9a4fd0d81e_b.jpg

50655845553_b62b18ce52_b.jpg

I guess you mean the slingshot gsxr, yeah the engine will fit in no problem, you could probably fit the crap steel B6 swinger in with little fuss but it would be better to get an ally swinger, it would look better. the stem on the bandit is too long so you would need a shorter gsxr one if you can find one ? or buy a gsxr bottom yoke and press the stem out, be aware some B6 stems are welded in so can't be pressed out.  anything is possible with a bit of work but money is your enemy as things mount up !!!!!!!!  

• Like 1

It would be much more cost effective to buy a GSXR donor bike that's as complete as is possible, unless you have a distinct aim in mind. Starting with just a frame is great to get a bike in the end that's just the way you want it but the cost of all the bits needed and the faffing to get everything to fit and work correctly adds up very quickly. 750 slingshots that need attention aren't that expensive (I know this is a subjective statement though) so if you have space, use the Blandit 6 for transport and work on your project separately. And save the 750 frame for a 7/11, 7/12 to build as your next project :).

• Like 1

If you want a gsxr slingshot but have not got the cash and just want to use all the bits from your b6 and put it onto the gsxr then when time/money aloud. Yes you could make it all fit, but I'd look out for the right swing arm and then graft your b6 wheel into that (just because of swing arm bearings) the front end, your bottom yoke as said above the stem will be to long, get a rf600 bottom yoke and use that, you will need to sort out lock stops.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the input and i totally agree if i had a few grand spare I would just go for a scruffy project GSXR but i don't have that kind of spare money and the Mrs has said absolutely no to a second bike! So I'm still thinking a frame and slowly build it up then i can spread the cost out and the second bike appears slowly.

The other plan was 750 the bandit but again the 750 lump itself might be cheap enough and just run off the 600 carbs but then its all the little bits and making sure the brakes are upto spec and getting it insured etc

Getting insurance for a modified bike is not that hard or expensive.

Look into the gsx750f motors, they go for less that the gsxr750 and more of them about, give good power and will go in your b6.

You can run the gsx/gsxr on the b6 carbs but keep a eye open for a set of gsx750f carbs and your sorted.

Plus the gsx750f run the same type of brake calipers as the b6.

If you want a bigger front tyre look out for a rf600 goes straight in same brake discs the lot, just fitted with a 120 front tyre instead of the 110 b6. Or look a rf6 forks for that sporty feel, but I think they are a bit shorter than the b6 so check ground clearance but will fit into the b6 yokes.

I've got a rf6 front end with b6 top yoke on my gs1000, I've fitted gsxr1000k1 6 pots on with adapter plates.

• Like 1