EFE brake calliper rebuild

eddiegsx

I'm in the process of rebuilding the standard Tokico callipers on my EFE.

I've purchased new seals,pins, pad retaining springs and pads.

My question is I have the old backing plates that sit behind the pads, what job do they do and do they have to be refitted? The reason being they are badly corroded so I'll need new ones. Cheers.

Thanks Tony, tried doing some research but opinion was devided on the subject, it was suggested that they helped to dissipate heat, that kind of made sense but I couldn't work out why metal would be used to achieve this.

Would it help cut squeal if I apply copper grease to the back of the pads?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, eddiegsx said:

Thanks Tony, tried doing some research but opinion was devided on the subject, it was suggested that they helped to dissipate heat, that kind of made sense but I couldn't work out why metal would be used to achieve this.

Would it help cut squeal if I apply copper grease to the back of the pads?

I had a big debate with an arsehole (who was on here at one point) on another forum about greasing the back of pads, ive been doing it for over 40 years with not one problem and most mechanics worldwide do it, plus the guys who maintain their own bikes. Suzuki used to sell brake grease but stopped selling it because it was just to expensive and no one bought it.  their is also many brake disc/pad manufactures who sell it or recommend it (google it) use the right grease and dont put too much on and it'll be fine.  thats all I'm gona say on the matter as i dont want to get into another argument about it again. ;)   

• Like 3

+1 with @TonyGee on what he is saying.

Only had one or two rear brakes that had the shims in and apart from one bike never had a squeal from the brakes, if you do put grease on the back make sure it's a high temp water resistant grease and put the smallest Sameer on.

or if the rear brake squeals a bit when you use it (that's another argument xD) you know it's working :D

• Like 2

To stray a little from the OP, does anyone know why a little copperslip on the back of the pads stops brake squeal? It is standard practice on all vehicles with disc brakes not just bikes but I am at a loss as to what causes the squeal and thus how it is stopped by greasing the back of the pads O.o. Greasing does work though.

28 minutes ago, Dezza said:

To stray a little from the OP, does anyone know why a little copperslip on the back of the pads stops brake squeal? It is standard practice on all vehicles with disc brakes not just bikes but I am at a loss as to what causes the squeal and thus how it is stopped by greasing the back of the pads O.o. Greasing does work though.

magic :D

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dezza said:

Tried to get my head around this one Dezza but gave up when smoke started coming out of my ears, I'm with Tony and reckon it's some sort of magic.:ph34r:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wraith said:

Your not wrong there, they put a shame on the name Katana

I get what you're saying on the styling I don't like it, but I'm old enough to remember when the original was launched (1981?) Me and my mates all took a ride out to the local Suzuki dealer and everyone one of us thought it was horrible, now I love the old original. So you never know.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, eddiegsx said:

I get what you're saying on the styling I don't like it, but I'm old enough to remember when the original was launched (1981?) Me and my mates all took a ride out to the local Suzuki dealer and everyone one of us thought it was horrible, now I love the old original. So you never know.

i know what you mean, i didn't like em either and also the ET's. now i have one :/  funny how taste's change. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

i know what you mean, i didn't like em either and also the ET's. now i have one :/  funny how taste's change.

Always loved ET's, I was a sixteen year old apprentice joiner when they came out, I used to cycle past our local dealer on the way home from work and call in just to stare at one they had on a turntable stand until they kicked me out to lock up. The seed was well and truly planted.

1 hour ago, Joseph said:

Except the original Katana was a real "new" thing, so not surprising it got such mixed opinions

The new one is just shit xD

Bendix sells brake grease, like lapping paste i bought a tube 20 years ago and it's still pretty full

My mum had a Bendix washing machine and that lasted decades too :).

17 minutes ago, eddiegsx said:

Please tell me how this post started out with my EFE callipers and ended with Katana's and your mum's Bendix washing machine?:D

I'd like to state that the Bendix washing machine ran smoothly, and without squeal, for 40+years due to correct application of copper grease somewhere in it's mechanical gubbins by my dad, but if I did this I'd be a liar:(

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1