GSXR 1100 92 shock

Panos

Will a K5 , K6 shock fit my GSXR 1100 frame or will i have clearance issues with the airbox? I plan to relocate the battery tray but i have to keep the airbox because of 40 mm bst carbs . 

Also could you suggest a shorter swingarm , other than GSXR 750 W 1995 because i cant seem to find any of that?

IMG_20210213_134000.jpg

IMG_20210213_133935.jpg

1989 1100R swingarm is the shortest most straightforward option

It is 553mm from spindle to spindle

The following ones up to the watercooled bikes are 585mm

(The 7s are 523 and 527, i guess they fit, but you probably wouldn't want to go that short on an 11)

You will need longer dogbones to keep the stance correct on later bikes. I found this out myself and have done this successfully on my 91 chassis.

Never done it myself but indeed i have always read that the modern GSXR shocks hit the air box

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, Joseph said:

1989 1100R swingarm is the shortest most straightforward option

It is 553mm from spindle to spindle

The following ones up to the watercooled bikes are 585mm

(The 7s are 523 and 527, i guess they fit, but you probably wouldn't want to go that short on an 11)

You will need longer dogbones to keep the stance correct on later bikes. I found this out myself and have done this successfully on my 91 chassis.

Never done it myself but indeed i have always read that the modern GSXR shocks hit the air box

Thank you for your reply , i was about to buy a K5 shock but i guess i have to look for one with a remote reservoir . 

This is my first project , should i first get a swingarm and then look for a shock ? 

Am i doing things the wrong way ?

For starters, why the choice of a K shock ?

There are several other "aftermarket" shocks that will fit and that have been tried and tested

Otherwise, well, fitting an 89 swingarm is a straight swap (with the dogbones), and with a compatible shock, it's nothing that will keep the bike off the road more than a day 

You will need a shorter chain. Good idea to couple the swingarm swap to when your current chain and sprockets need changing, and while you're at it do the bearings too

Edited by Joseph
15 hours ago, Joseph said:

For starters, why the choice of a K shock ?

There are several other "aftermarket" shocks that will fit and that have been tried and tested

Otherwise, well, fitting an 89 swingarm is a straight swap (with the dogbones), and with a compatible shock, it's nothing that will keep the bike off the road more than a day 

You will need a shorter chain. Good idea to couple the swingarm swap to when your current chain and sprockets need changing, and while you're at it do the bearings too

I found a k5 shock for a very good price , i read here it is a good swap and rebuildable .

The bike is not rideable because of engine issues , i plan to rebuilt the engine so time off the road is not a issue the bike was not ridden for years i think it will take me months if not years to finnish it.

I want to  shorten the weelbase for better handling , getting rid of heavy parts as well , like headlight and bracket , wheels , i would like to keep the fork calipers and rotors oem though.

I was also looking for K1 , K5 , K7 and hayabusa swingarms but they look similar lenght to mine if not more , mine was 595mm if i remember correctly .

I cant seem to find slingshot or GSXR W parts in my country but plenty of K1 and later.

Thanks again for your response i need all the info i can get.

I bought a Nitron shock for my 1100n, best thing I did early in my ownership of my bike - any decent shock will make a big difference.  The standard shock is only 312mm eye to eye, a bit longer is good - the gsxr600/750k6/7 shock is 320mm long , has good spring weight and the correct fitting at the bottom, the later shocks have an eye at the bottom link.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Oilyspanner said:

I bought a Nitron shock for my 1100n, best thing I did early in my ownership of my bike - any decent shock will make a big difference.  The standard shock is only 312mm eye to eye, a bit longer is good - the gsxr600/750k6/7 shock is 320mm long , has good spring weight and the correct fitting at the bottom, the later shocks have an eye at the bottom link.

Nitron shock has a remote reservoir right?

Did you try to fit a K5 shock to your bike? 

Did you have any issues with the airbox - shock clearance ?

There's several types of Nitron, the ntr1 doesn't have a remote res. It works really well, I had that one first. I've  since bought their fancy race one,  that has a fixed reservoir - it came up second-hand , it had been on a race gsxr600L4 - I had to swap the bottom link to the clevis type link - this is why I know about the 600/750 shocks _ the spring rate is suitable too.

The 1000k5 is very long as I remember, 330mm or more I think, I'm sure there's a swaps thread in the vault maybe ? You can make shocks  fit with different length linkage rods/dog bones, but if you go too far the main linkage angle changes, so the shock doesn't  work as well. Anything works better than a shock with no damping though.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Oilyspanner said:

There's several types of Nitron, the ntr1 doesn't have a remote res. It works really well, I had that one first. I've  since bought their fancy race one,  that has a fixed reservoir - it came up second-hand , it had been on a race gsxr600L4 - I had to swap the bottom link to the clevis type link - this is why I know about the 600/750 shocks _ the spring rate is suitable too.

The 1000k5 is very long as I remember, 330mm or more I think, I'm sure there's a swaps thread in the vault maybe ? You can make shocks  fit with different length linkage rods/dog bones, but if you go too far the main linkage angle changes, so the shock doesn't  work as well. Anything works better than a shock with no damping though.

Thank you for replying ,  i found a GSXR 600 swingarm complete with sunspension and wheel so i will give it a try then .

I found your project thread , im halfway reading it and it looks awesome , much better job than i could ever dream of doing myself !

Im so jealous now , great job !