Gs 550 Grab Rail

Rsk_141

Can any one help would like a Grab rail for a GS 550 Std not custom,

Seen on a few bikes but can't seem to find one, Seen GT 750 / GT 500 rails for sale contacted seller they were not keen to give dimensions to see if it would fit .

Bought a couple that looked ok but alas no, so cut one up to see if I could make it fit, all I got is a blunt hacksaw and some expensive scrap . tried looking for someone to make one not much luck. 

Any help in this matter would be amazing .

Put a wanted add up also .

7 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

did the 550 come with a grab rail ?  or you mean the one on the left for lifting the bike up on its stand ? 

I'm not sure .I've got a lift handle for it, but I've seen a couple of bike with full bars over the tail piece .

there's a GS on Eblag that has one

Edited by Rsk_141
4 minutes ago, Rsk_141 said:

I'm not sure .I've got a lift handle for it, but I've seen a couple of bike with full bars over the tail piece

just done a google search and only one pic came up with a grabrail, does yours have a mounting bracket under the tail unit ? the other mounting point is the top shock bolt.  im afraid grabrails for the old suzuki's are like hens teeth to find, you might find a second hand one that'll probably need rechroming.  i've been looking for one for my gsx750 but had no luck !!!!  but mines not in bad condition.  

as far as i can tell it looks like they only come on the 1980 model ???  which makes it even harder to find one unless something else will fit,  i had a grabrail made out of stainless for one of my bike's, just give the guy a wire template and then my mate polished it up like chrome.  

On 2/15/2021 at 12:14 PM, Poldark said:

The GS550L (cruiser style with stepped seat and chrome rear fender) came with a chromed wrap around grab bar.  I could take one from an '81 GS550L and see if it will fit up to my '78 GS550E.   Just give me a few days; we're recovering from the effects of an ice storm.

Cheers Poldark, I've tried a 650L grabrail and it was too narrow I'll put it on the back burner for now!

And hopefully some thing pops up .

PS. Do you have an XJ? 

On 2/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, Poldark said:

The GS550L (cruiser style with stepped seat and chrome rear fender) came with a chromed wrap around grab bar.  I could take one from an '81 GS550L and see if it will fit up to my '78 GS550E.   Just give me a few days; we're recovering from the effects of an ice storm.

On 2/17/2021 at 5:06 PM, ccroaker said:

keep an eye on eblag.....the cruiser type grab handles show up quiet a bit on eblag.... but i dont think they fit ......the ordinary ones only show up every now and then....im surprised delkevic dont do exhausts for the 550....their a good bit of kit

Yesterday I checked the fit  of a L model grab-rail, it did NOT fit the GS550E frame.  So you either have to locate the rare part, or take another attempt at fabricating one yourself.