Gear Ratio Question

Neveragain55

6 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Can you calculate the difference in top speed between both ratios? May be that wil give you a better understanding..

Calculate it back to the amount of revs what you're riding with at an average speed..

May be it can give you an idea in difference?

When you ride your bike, do you feel the need to shift up a gear? If not, I wouldn't worry about all this.

Not there yet, bike is still being put together.

Once she's done I'll pay close attention to where the revs are, speed, rate of acceleration in all gears, and where I'll be most comfortable. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, george 1100 said:

Crank looks lightened too? Oversized valves? What cams?

Honestly, I'm not sure if he lightened the crank, and I'll ask about the valves & cams next time I see him.

I didn't get super technical with these types of questions while the engine was being assembled, but they are great questions and I'll follow up and get back to you.

I'm building a few other things simultaneously while this build is going on and my attention span these days is stretched pretty thin.

22 hours ago, Neveragain55 said:

Not there yet, bike is still being put together.

Once she's done I'll pay close attention to where the revs are, speed, rate of acceleration in all gears, and where I'll be most comfortable. 

Two questions: Are you going to need an offset front sprocket? If so you don't want to be swaping them about because they cost about 4 times as much as a normal one, so decide that first and mess about with the rears as you need.

Second, are you running an extended swing arm? Because if you are, this could cause the chain to fowl the swing arm. I have an EFE engine in a GS750 frame and had to go up to a 17t on the front to clear the swing arm at the pivot. The longer the swing arm, the more likely it is to eat through your JMC arm. Too big a rear sprocket might cause a problem with the chain rubbing in the shocks over bumps as well.

On 2/15/2021 at 1:32 PM, Jonny said:

Two questions: Are you going to need an offset front sprocket? If so you don't want to be swaping them about because they cost about 4 times as much as a normal one, so decide that first and mess about with the rears as you need.

Second, are you running an extended swing arm? Because if you are, this could cause the chain to fowl the swing arm. I have an EFE engine in a GS750 frame and had to go up to a 17t on the front to clear the swing arm at the pivot. The longer the swing arm, the more likely it is to eat through your JMC arm. Too big a rear sprocket might cause a problem with the chain rubbing in the shocks over bumps as well.

All great questions.....

The swingarm is a vintage, 1980's under-braced, JCM swingarm (regular length), and no, I won't be needing an offset sprocket because there was quite a bit of work that went into welding up the tabs to hold & align the GSXR1100 motor with the rear wheel so that everything would line up as if the original 750 engine were still in the bike.

Take a look, this was done after the engine was torn down (pre re-assembly)

24.thumb.jpg.5392fc48b084d3419f7716a1bd93c07c.jpg

26.thumb.jpg.1006a3d9d6934937bb78934f6da6809e.jpg

27.thumb.jpg.72572cf0196c120694afa5d4adc860f6.jpg

28.thumb.jpg.65c5948c15cf6c7ae24848efd239f96a.jpg

29.thumb.jpg.338417a99c2a4cfb4762091574ae4a26.jpg

30.thumb.jpg.be9a4f631287fbcd66503729c63a926e.jpg

31.thumb.jpg.b9eed5f25cbdedc0cfe6b0911ac8129c.jpg

32.thumb.jpg.5fc0c1618d5e69e38b54807b4e5f2475.jpg

33.thumb.jpg.5c976df377185857bfdb6b1774229ef8.jpg

25.thumb.jpg.c41d1903e574adc9246f3f6e0c97c4b8.jpg

84.thumb.jpg.378d477d0a45318d8c46856aa33f099c.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Probably an optical illusion but that wheel does not appear central in the s/arm or frame!

Good catch......

That pic was taken when the wheel was first put in just to see where it would "fall"

There were a bunch of modifications done since then, and we had to use a different cush drive along with machining some custom spacers, but it lines up beautifully now without that crazy offset.

The front & rear sprockets are going to line up perfectly as if the original motor & rear wheel were in the bike.

When I went into this I knew there be a bit of welding & modifications to make it all work but I had no idea that it would turn into as much as it did.

All worth it.......:tu

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

if the engine is offset will you have a problem with the headers hitting the frame down tubes ? 

Agreed........but it's not.

That's what I explained in the post, there was a ton of fab & weld work in making up tabs and strategically welding them in certain spots so that the new engine would sit damn near identical to where the GS750 engine sat.

Right now the engine is out on a stand while lots of other work is being done.

Once we're ready for a full mock up (after we've acquired a bunch of parts) we're going to do a final "fit" before un-assembly where almost everything will be going to the coating house for black powder coat.

I'll post updated pics when that mock up happens so all of you can see how everything lines up and falls into place.

Trust me.......there will be no crazy offsets with this bike, she's going to look like Suzuki built it when she's done.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have been very thorough. I guess the engine and wheel must be lined up same as they would have been in the 1100 frame. I had a bugger of a job with getting my rear wheel centred and the sprockets to line up but then the EFE was always designed to run a wheel with a narrower hub .

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

Sounds like you have been very thorough. I guess the engine and wheel must be lined up same as they would have been in the 1100 frame. I had a bugger of a job with getting my rear wheel centred and the sprockets to line up but then the EFE was always designed to run a wheel with a narrower hub .

Exactly....................

That's what we ultimately did, got a narrower hub, along with machining some 20mm (ID) spacers of varying thicknesses so that we could manipulate the wheel where it needed to be. The stock spacers just weren't getting us where we needed to be.

It took a while, and it took a lot of fab work but it finally lined up.

I've seen literally hundreds of modified 70's & 80's bikes to fit larger engines, and wider front & rear wheels with front forks & rear swingarm from modern bikes, so...........it "can" be done.

There's tons of talented people out there (many of them are members of this forum) and I've seen just about every hurdle you can imagine being overcome.

Where there's a will there's always a way brother......;)

Edited by Neveragain55
  • Like 2